VMware Cloud Community
tipsy01
Contributor
Contributor

VMware & MAP Capacity Planning

Can anybody help?

We are looking at installing the VMware Capcaity planner and Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution Accelerator on a PC at a customers site to assess the current server infrastructure in preparation for virtualisation. The question is will running both tools side by side have a performance impact on the target servers being considered for virtualisation and make the results a little "hazy" so to speak and if so does anybody have any idea as to what percentage? Would it be better practise to run each tool independently for a period of one month?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not think the issue is the impact to the server being sampled but running similar tools on the same machine impacting the ability to sample the servers in atimeply fashion - so I would run them on seperste boxes. I can not speak to MAP - but capacity planner has little to no impact on the server beining sampled -

I am curious why you are running both?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
tipsy01
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The reason we are running both is because our customer has not yet virtualised and is looking to get a comparison between Microsoft and VMware and unfortunately will not purchase third party utils such as platespin.

Thanks

0 Kudos
lanamarkinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have a glance at Lanamark Suite if you are looking for a software solution that will allow you to compare multiple platforms side-by-side. It supports virtualization platforms from Citrix, Microsoft, Parallels, VMware and other vendors. And it is specifically designed for solution providers delivering virtualization services.

0 Kudos