VMware Cloud Community
emba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware HA turned off - what happens to my VMs?

hi folks,

maybe an easy question, but imagine I have a VI3 DRS Cluster with 4 hosts and many VMs. HA is not active. If one host for any reason looses its Service Console interface or the network connection to its default gateway, what happens to the running VMs then? With HA Isolation Response would be started and failover initialized, but what w/out HA?

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

Nothing. If HA is not activated and somebody unplugs the production LAN the ESX and VM's will sit there and wait till it comes back.

0 Kudos
cody_bunch
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

+1 on what ctfoster said.

- Cody Bunch

-Cody Bunch http://professionalvmware.com
0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

Agreed and if we are just talking about the Service Console here and you have configured your ESX Server per best practice with seperate vNics from your VM network to your production network nothing willl happen at all.. What I mean is if the VMs dont need the service console to run or operate.. And if they are using a seperate vNic bond then they will just contibue to provide services and run with no problems. However if they are using the same vNic bond as the service console and the physical links went down on both vNics your VMs would drop network connectivity until this was repaired.

Help me help you by scoring points.

Help me help you by scoring points.