VMware Cloud Community
rblack1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fault Tolerance

Does anyone know when this product will be released? The website just says '2009'. Will it be 'bundled' with VMware Infrastructure, or just be offered as a stand-alone product?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - it will be a feature of VI-4 only

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - it will be a feature of VI-4 only

0 Kudos
rblack1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Do you have an approximate release date for that (I am trying to do some HA planning).

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I'm assuming you would design HA in the same way people currently using within ESX 3.5. You still need shared storage (iSCSI, NFS, FC) across your hosts and have plenty of hosts available and DNS is configured correctly and /etc/hosts entries for all the hosts just to in case. Also design with N+1 model so that failed hosts can restart the guests to other standy hosts. VMware Fault Tolerance might be an extra piece of redundancy that is going to be built on top of vSphere and vCenter 4.0 and it works across all hosts. I'm hoping to see the guests fault tolerance on the services side such as SQL, Exchange services instead of just HA type feature. I want to see similiar feature like MSCS for our guests or at least something like Neverfail from Marathon Technology.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
rblack1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great points!

Yes.....same strategies.

So Fault Tolerance will not be a subset of Virtual Infrastructure?

0 Kudos