VMware Cloud Community
aaronb123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Certified Design and Installation

Hi,

We are in the process of installing our ESX environment. A total of 20 ESX servers across two sites. We hired a consulting firm to help us with the Design and implementation portions as well as for cross training purpuses. I have taken the VM Fasttrak course and have passed my VCP.

Now we have a second consulting firm that would like to "VMware Certify" our Design and Install. I think they aer full of it... But just to make sure is there such a thing of VMware Certified Installation or Design or anything remotely close to this??

Your opinions are much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware does offer a plan design class that delivers the VMware way of doing a design - also themselves and through VMware authorized consultants offers a number of short style engagements that will analyze your design - but through any of these there is not anything to 'VMware Certify' the design as far as I know - in terms of certification VMware has announced a new certification above the VCP called VMware Certified Design Expert - but they are still rolling out the pieces that will allow someone to receive that cert -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware does offer a plan design class that delivers the VMware way of doing a design - also themselves and through VMware authorized consultants offers a number of short style engagements that will analyze your design - but through any of these there is not anything to 'VMware Certify' the design as far as I know - in terms of certification VMware has announced a new certification above the VCP called VMware Certified Design Expert - but they are still rolling out the pieces that will allow someone to receive that cert -

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

David (weinstein5) is correct. The closest thing is the VMware Health Check assessment. With the health check, the consultant will come in and analyze your environment and generate a report that details your environment and shows where your configuration deviates from "Best Practices". This is not a VMware Certified Design! It is simply a check against best practices - and you may find that your deviations from best practice are intentional design decisions.

Don't get me wrong, the VMware Infrastructure Health Check is a valuable assessment. It can help you identify potential problems with your configuration - or give you verification that all is well - but it is not a guarantee from VMware that everything is hunky-dory fine.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

TVAR Solutions, A Wells Landers Group Company

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
aaronb123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you both for your helpful answers.

0 Kudos