VMware Cloud Community
Pighinr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs storage folder has incorrect name

We have a few VM servers that are stored in directories with incorrect names.  I am just looking on suggestions on fixing them up and moving forward.  When we build a new VM server to replace an existing, we install and test on the new server and on migration day we rename the server so this causes the storage folders to be incorrect.

1)     What are other people doing to in this type of situation

2)     How can I resolve the incorrectly named storage folders?

thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

1) What are other people doing to in this type of situation

The same thing here.

2) How can I resolve the incorrectly named storage folders?

Rename the VM, shut down the VM, and then cold migrate it.  This will make the names match across the board.  OR rename the VM and use Storage vMotion.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

1) What are other people doing to in this type of situation

The same thing here.

2) How can I resolve the incorrectly named storage folders?

Rename the VM, shut down the VM, and then cold migrate it.  This will make the names match across the board.  OR rename the VM and use Storage vMotion.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you have vCenter and Storage vMotion you can Storage vMotion the guest to a new Datastore and that will fix the naming convention.  If you have vCenter and no shared storage, you can power down the guest and do a cold migration to a new datastore.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There are basically 2 options to rename the VM's files. The first one is to migrate the VM, this will rename the files to the inventory name. The second options requires knowledge of the files and manual editing. If you have the chance to do a migration, go for it. Otherwise report back to find out what needs to be done.

André

Pighinr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to all for the help!!

0 Kudos