VMware Cloud Community
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMkernel / Vmotion design question in Vsphere

Hello All,

Just wondering if the game has changed a bit in vSphere from ESX 3.5 in regaurds to setting up your virtual swithes and vmotion. I remeber in 3.5 you would want to try and segment your vmotion traffic and put them on dedicated nics when possible, however I have the following setup below and vmotion won't work unless the Vmkernel can communicate with the service console forcing the vmkernel to be on the same subnet / vlan asthe service console.

vSwitch0

vmnic0 - Service Console - on default lan (192.168.1.X)

vmni1 - Service Console - on defaut lan

vSwitch1

vmnic2 - Vmkernel (vmotion) - VLAN7 (192.168.2.X)

vmnic3 - Vmkernel (vmotion) - VLAN 7

vSwitch2

vmnic4 - Vmnetwork - on default lan (192.168.1.X)

vmnic5 - Vmnetwork

vmnic6 - Vmnetwork

vmnic7 -VMnetwork

If I drop the VLAN on the VMkernel and change the ip address to 192.168.1.x it works flawlessly, however if the VMkernel is on a different subnet it will not vmotion. When the VMkernel is on a different subnet it can vmkping each other just fine but nothing else as it should becuase of the subnet. Is a service console still needed in vSwitch1 to communicate with the 192.168.1.x network if the VMkernel is on a different subnet? I know they fixed this limitation with iSCSI but does this still need to be in place for vmotion?

Any help would be greatly appricated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

vmotion does not need to see a service console port even in VI-3 - I would take a looke at your physical network making sure the physical ports the pNICs on vswitch 1 are configured for the vlans -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response,

So I have simplified the configuration for troubleshooting purposes and here is the current setup

- One switch with all connections plugged into the 1 switch

- All VLAN's on the switch and virtual switches have been removed

First host:

vSwitch0

vmnic0 - Dedicated to service console port group - 192.168.1.x

vmnic1 - Dedicated to service console port group

vSwitch1

vmnic2 - Dedicated to VMkernel port group for vmotion 192.168.2.2

vmnic3 - Dedicated to VMkernel port group for vmotion 192.168.2.3

vswitch2

vmnic4 - Dedicated to VM Network - 192.168.1.x

vmnic5 - Dedicated to VM Network

vmnic6 - Dedicated to VM Network

vmnic7 - Dedicated to VM Network

Second host:

vSwitch0

vmnic0 - Dedicated to service console port group - 192.168.1.x

vmnic1 - Dedicated to service console port group

vSwitch1

vmnic2 - Dedicated to VMkernel port group for vmotion 192.168.2.4

vmnic3 - Dedicated to VMkernel port group for vmotion 192.168.2.5

vswitch2

vmnic4 - Dedicated to VM Network - 192.168.1.x

vmnic5 - Dedicated to VM Network

vmnic6 - Dedicated to VM Network

vmnic7 - Dedicated to VM Network

All are plugged into the same switch atm just for testing and the vmkping can ping all the ip's in the vmkernel subnet, however when a vmotion is kicked off all pre-flight checks pass but it just stops at 10% and hangs here then gives an error message that it can't communicate with the host

If I change the VMkernel ip addresses to the 192.168.1.X network it works with no problems, so it seems like it needs something from the service console which it shouldn't ?

Any other help would be greatly appricated as I would like to segment the vmotion off the main network

0 Kudos
EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe you added the Default gateway on the SC or VMkernel ports, which is what you do not need.

0 Kudos