VMware Cloud Community
blvsupport
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Live Site Replication

Hi we have 2 sites and we have more and more virtual machines running. I would like to know how i can replicate all my date to site B from site A in case one of my VM in site a goeas down the other in site B will take the backup

I read about VMware Site Recovery Manager. Is it out ? Is it for site replication ?

What's the best solution to replicate data from site to site ?

Thanks for your suggestion

Jac!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SRuff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We're currently using Vizioncore vReplicator product to replicate VM's between two sites, it's fast and reliable way to replicate VM's while they are up and running and is simple to use. It does not however perform any type of "entire site" failover, it's only at the individual VM level. I also know some other companies that are using NetApp SnapMirror technology to just snap the entire VMFS datastores to another site, this is done while the VM's are up and running, and when they bring the VM's up at the alternate site, it's just like the VM's were shutdown hard (they have to run through FS checks, etc.)

VMware Site Replicator is not GA yet, scheduled for late 2008 and will run on ESX 3.5/VC 2.5.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My companies backup product esXpress has what we call simple replication. What it is that we use the backups to do the replication. A backup is created from Host B and then sent to a target ( ftp server, the other esx server etc ). The second host then looks for those backups and automatically will restore the backup on it. Shortly we will be releasing advanced replication which will overlay our Delta backup in place on the second host eliminating the Full restore process, which simple replication does.

Pete@esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When SRM is released it will NOT replicate data, the SAN will have to do the SAN to SAN replication, The SAN vendors are required to write the scripts and the Site Recovery Agent to interact with SRM.

I believe at present only EQL and EMC DMX have been certified and maybe LeftHand as the VMworld Europe SRM hands-on lab was based on LeftHand storage.

They wouldnt provide a release date when asked in the lab