VMware Cloud Community
rgavilanes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMDK Disks in ESX and ESXi

Hi,

The structure of VMDK disks is the same in ESXi and ESX?

Can I migrate VM's from ESXi to ESX servers without problems?

Thanks for all!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

correct. We have the same blades running in the same enclosure. Build a new ESX server on your free blades, once that is on-line, migrate all the VM's off local storage, to the new ESX host with shared storage and so on. You can do this cold or hot. Cold would be shutting down the VM and choosing migrate and in the wizard choose "move" instead of keep, hot would be sVmotion.

Shouldn't be a problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The structure of VMDK disks is the same in ESXi and ESX?

Yes

Can I migrate VM's from ESXi to ESX servers without problems?

Yes, assuming you meet all the vmotion requirements

rgavilanes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi again,

Ok thanks for your help, this question is for the following,

Actually I have a server with ESXi with VM`s in local disks (local storage), but in few months, I will install ESX Server 3.5, I will buy the Virtual Center licenses, a Shared Storage (fibre channel), especifically a HP Storage Works EVA440, and I want migrate my VM's to the storage, and apply HA/DRS

Tks again!!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you're on the right track. And, with vCenter 2.5 and ESX 3.5 you can use sVMotion and do a live migration off your local storage to shared storage with no downtime to your VM's.

Just make sure your CPU's are all vMotion compatible, or you will have to use EVC

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/vmware/vmotion.pdf

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmotion_info_guide.pdf

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003212

rgavilanes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok,

Well,

I think the CPU would not be compatibility problems because the VM's

are currently running on three Blades BL460c ( local disks), and I have six blades free in the enclouser c7000. All hardware are Homogeneus.

In the moment that I migrate to the storage, the VM's will run on the same hardware, but ESX Server 3.5 instead of ESXi

I Install ESX Server on the free Blades. I must use vMotion for migrate the VM's to the free blades with ESX Server?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

correct. We have the same blades running in the same enclosure. Build a new ESX server on your free blades, once that is on-line, migrate all the VM's off local storage, to the new ESX host with shared storage and so on. You can do this cold or hot. Cold would be shutting down the VM and choosing migrate and in the wizard choose "move" instead of keep, hot would be sVmotion.

Shouldn't be a problem.

0 Kudos
rgavilanes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK thanks for your help.

Points for the correct answer and I have clear all.

Bye!

0 Kudos