VMware Cloud Community
DJHamp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM guest memory default

Just getting started on our VM setup. We have 3 DL380's as hosts with 20 GB ram each. ESX3.5

We have a Win 2003 server template with 1 cpu and 256 MB memory and I have 12 or so VM's deployed from that. Some web servers, small sql database servers, etc.

When the servers are first fired up and being configured the memory use spikes up, but then they settle down. What is the best practice on setting the memory size in general, leaving it low and letting them grab memory as needed or setting the baseline higher if they seem to want more?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

We have a Win 2003 server template with 1 cpu and 256 MB memory and I have 12 or so VM's deployed from that. Some web servers, small sql database servers, etc.

Congratulations! Glad to see that you're following my best practice of starting out small and adding resources as needed!

When the servers are first fired up and being configured the memory use spikes up, but then they settle down.

This is "normal" for a Windows guest OS. One of the first things Windows does on startup is to go out and "touch" every available byte of RAM. So...no matter how much RAM you allocate to your VMs, Windows will always demonstrate the spike on startup.

What is the best practice on setting the memory size in general, leaving it low and letting them grab memory as needed or setting the baseline higher if they seem to want more?

Monitor the VM's memory usage over time. Don't worry about the first couple of minutes following a boot - they are not indicative of the true RAM requirements of the VM. If you see that your VM is running at 85% or higher utilization, then you might want to add more memory; otherwise, be happy that you've allocated enough memory to begin with Smiley Happy

Ken Cline

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the spike is normal, as the VM is booting up and starting all the services. However, in my opinion, 256MB of RAM, even for a 2003 Server is too little. We usually give our server VM's 1GB RAM, some have 2GB.

Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Congratulations! Glad to see that you're following my best practice of starting out small and adding resources as needed!

When the servers are first fired up and being configured the memory use spikes up, but then they settle down.

This is "normal" for a Windows guest OS. One of the first things Windows does on startup is to go out and "touch" every available byte of RAM. So...no matter how much RAM you allocate to your VMs, Windows will always demonstrate the spike on startup.

What is the best practice on setting the memory size in general, leaving it low and letting them grab memory as needed or setting the baseline higher if they seem to want more?

Monitor the VM's memory usage over time. Don't worry about the first couple of minutes following a boot - they are not indicative of the true RAM requirements of the VM. If you see that your VM is running at 85% or higher utilization, then you might want to add more memory; otherwise, be happy that you've allocated enough memory to begin with Smiley Happy

Ken Cline

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Aloha - For what it's worth, the bulk of our 2k3 servers are running at 700mb with no issues.