VMware Cloud Community
VirtualSlew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VI3.X Rollout

I work for a medium size company, and the IT staff is basically me. Right now we're using the free VMware Server products and have 10+ servers running as VMs. We would like to impliment VI3 later this year, and move most of our remaining physical servers to VMs, incuding Sql 2005 and Exchange 2003. I'm just curious what some of your experiences have been rolling out VI3. I have no experience with VI3, ESX server or SAN technology. As I said, I have only used the freebie products. Is this a project I want to take on myself, or bring in outside support. I'm pretty competent, as I currently support a mix of 20+ Windows and Linux servers and 200+ users. I'm just not sure if I would be getting in over my head attempting this myself. Are there any good books anyone can recommend?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I was almost in the same boat as you (1 man IT shop) last year before implementing my first VI3 environment although I had some experience at my previous job on 2.5.2 (local storage). I setup a proof of concept (POC) lab at the office with 3 HP workstations (2 ESX Servers and an OpenFiler iSCSI SAN) and an ESX 3 eval license. I used OpenFiler because I knew I would deploy an iSCSI san. I ended up choosing EqualLogic. Worked with the POC for quite some time, took the install and configure class, spent days and days and days (still do) on these forums. When I was ready to deploy i brought in consultants to act as a second pair of eyes during the installation and configuration. They pointed out a few things, but 95% of my work that i carried over from the POC was correct. I preferred this method so I could have time to learn on my own and not have a consultant ram a ton of information at me in a few days while they are on site.

Good Luck!

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

CBTnuggets has a very good video on VI3 which covers a lot of ESX as well as walks you through how to setup ESX in a VMware workstation which you could use for testing.

There was also a good discussion about some readings here

Also a huge collection of links in this discussion -

Hope that helps you out

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

CBT is okay indeed. Just check out the enormous amound of links on Eric's website vmware-land.com. It contains a huge amount of useful info. Most important thing in my opinion is think before you implement. Especially on the Network and Storage section this is important.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What Duncan said is exactly correct you need to really sit down, and think everything through, especially network/storage area's. In my opinion they are the backbone of your VM infrastructure, and when you have an overloaded network or an overloaded storage solution, you're systems are just going to dog.

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you going to take all servers and desktops. How big is this project going to get?

If I where you I would bite the bullet., and get a consultant in there. Not only will they help you build your solution. But will teach you all about VMware and ESX while they do it. This will be money well spent in the long run. You are going to have to go in front of the boss and ask them to buy SAN's and servers. This will be a large purchase for a company of your size. I think I would want to spen the 10 -11 K to have all this investment be 100%.

0 Kudos
VirtualSlew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to migrate most of our servers. We have a few Linux servers running an application that I have not had the opportunity to test in a Virtual environment. We also have Cisco IP Telephony servers that have not been tested, and I know will not be supported by Cisco. Everything else is a candidate. We already have the project budgeted, and my boss is 100% behind it after seeing what we've been able to do with the free server products. I guess I just always prefer to attempt do things myself, and I was curious if others with little product experience have successfully installed and configured VI3.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I was almost in the same boat as you (1 man IT shop) last year before implementing my first VI3 environment although I had some experience at my previous job on 2.5.2 (local storage). I setup a proof of concept (POC) lab at the office with 3 HP workstations (2 ESX Servers and an OpenFiler iSCSI SAN) and an ESX 3 eval license. I used OpenFiler because I knew I would deploy an iSCSI san. I ended up choosing EqualLogic. Worked with the POC for quite some time, took the install and configure class, spent days and days and days (still do) on these forums. When I was ready to deploy i brought in consultants to act as a second pair of eyes during the installation and configuration. They pointed out a few things, but 95% of my work that i carried over from the POC was correct. I preferred this method so I could have time to learn on my own and not have a consultant ram a ton of information at me in a few days while they are on site.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The install will be the easy part. Macking sure you have a good design and the right equipment is the hard part. Make sure your hardware is on the hcl.

0 Kudos
derekn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your environment sounds a lot like mine. My self and another support about 150 users, Cisco Voip system and the such. We converted as we were getting to have about 40+ physical servers and after showing my boss virtualization, he was all over it. We converted several servers to our vm environment and implemented a SAN. We did not have the capacity for SAN before vmware because we could basically not afford it. Well after proving to management that we needed storage and then showing all the High Availability features and Disaster Recovery issues we were set forward.

Come to conversion like I said we started small and converted a product over a long weekend. Ever since I would have to say I have enjoyed my weekends. I do recommend if you do decide to implement it on your own, READ the manuals, I mean seriously read them. We had a consultant try to place our environment together, needless to say I would recommend someone who is a VCP, it was the first time we had to fire a consultant. He thought he knew what he was doing. You have all heard that story before. I ended up doing the install the following weekend. I got it up and running and got some servers converted. After a month or two of running it that way...I scheduled myself for INstall & Config class to determine what I did wrong. Overall as much hands on time you can get with the product will definately make for more of a pleasurable experience.

just my 2 cents.

-go easy
0 Kudos