VMware Cloud Community
rgardnerS1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VI3 DB?

I have a VI3 Server setup with the express db running on it. The server this runs on also provides other services, mainly as a file server. Ocasionally I run into a problem where I'll go and do something such as power on a VM and the client will say the server took to long to respond, after this sometimes the VM will turn on, on its own, or sometimes I have to try to power it on again. Everything I read about the VI3 db say's it's just there for the performance and statistics polling of VM's and hosts( am I correct here)? What is the likelyhood of it interfering with the VI3 client? Or is it more likely that this is unrelated to the db and maybe just a sign that we need to move off this server?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That should be fine. You need to ensure the transaction log is been trancated if the log file grow bigger and bigger. that will reduce your performance on the database.

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

How big is your ESX environment, as you know SQL 2005 Express edition is limited to small or test environment only. If you have fairly medium size, than suggest move to SQL 2005/Oracle DB. I also not suggest you install any other services along with Virtual Center server with the exception of license server which is very small piece that doesn't effect much of performance. You have to use VI Client to communicate with the virtual center and than it will sends commend to vmkernel back and forth it just a client GUI for management. All the hardwork are done with ESX hosts and VC server. VC server does DRS and VMotion components.

You can also test to see if its the problem by converting your virtual center server to VM and test it. Have you updated all the patches to the latest?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
rgardnerS1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, in moving to sql 2005, should it sit ok on a dualcore 2.6ghz, 4g ram and a mirrored 73g sas drive? We don't use HA or DRS but we are above the suggested limits for sql express, we're at 7 hosts and 80VM's

Thanks,

0 Kudos
lmonaco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you only have 7 host & 80 VM's, those specs will be fine.

malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That should be fine. You need to ensure the transaction log is been trancated if the log file grow bigger and bigger. that will reduce your performance on the database.

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos