VMware Cloud Community
SAGEBCI
Contributor
Contributor

VDI - Desktop Delivery

Hello all,

We are looking at using XEN Desktop is our ESX 4 environment. Does anyone have an experience with this that is favorable? I have noticed some issues with others that have implemented XEN Desktop with ESX.

Thanks,

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Moved to the Enterprise Strategy & Planning forum.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have been using XenDesktop with ESX on the back end for almost a year and a half. The results have been very positive. XenDesktop is a little more complex than View. At the time we chose XenDesktop as it was a better choice for us because we had to put virtual desktops in a reomote location with no IT staff and high latency.

If you already have a lot of Citrix experience in house the learning curve for the XenDesktop environment will be short. There were some issues that we had early on, but a lot of them were more related to the learning curve.

The one issue that we still see is that XenDesktop is very dependent on virtual center. An outage to Virtual Center can have a huge impact on XenDesktop. We have View 4 in house now and an outage to Virtual Center causes issues but it sees to recover quicker than XenDesktop. If you go with XenDesktop I would recommend testing Virtual Center failures and make sure your staff is trained in how to quickly resolve the issue.

Good Luck. I have also heard good things about the product from Quest.

0 Kudos