VMware Cloud Community
acnsys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCB server access to multiple storage groups

Hi all,

What is the trick? I have to enable access to our VCB server to all storage groups created on our SAN. The problem is that our EMC Clarion Cx3-20 only allow us to add one host to only one storage group. If i want to connect the VCB server to another storage group i get a prompt saying:

ams-bck.corp.com: This host is already connected to a different storage group. Connecting to the current storage group will cause it to be disconnected from the other storage group. This will cause the host to be unable to access the LUNS that are within the other storage group.

VCB server needs to see all the LUNs, can you advise?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
winsomelosesome
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In an EMC Clariion array, best practice is to have only 1 host per storage group but you can assign LUNs to muliple.

For example you create a storage group for your VCB proxy server, then just add the LUNs that are also presented to your ESX servers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bradley4681
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

thats a limitation of the EMC system not allowing you to assign a server to more then one storage group. It may not be supported in your current EMC configuration. I would call your emcsupport rep, or open a ticket.

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi all,

What is the trick? I have to enable access to our VCB server to all storage groups created on our SAN. The problem is that our EMC Clarion Cx3-20 only allow us to add one host to only one storage group.

I'm not sure how EMC works but with my IBM DS series, I simply added multiple HBA's and gave each one a different alias. My VCB server is now functioning in a VMFS host group and a NTFS host group. Eventually I will be adding a 3rd HBA to configure LAN-Free backups to our TSM system.

Jason

0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

the situation he's describing is related to his SAN management software, the ability to present to more then one storage group is directly related to the SAN/Software setup

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you saying that the EMC storage device can only present to one stroage group? That's odd. Even my old HP MAS1000 will present to multiple storage groups.

0 Kudos
acnsys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thats the host (windows server) that cannot be connected to multiple SG.

I am opening a ticket with EMC because i dont see any ways to do what i want but It doesnt look promising reading the Navisphere doc. Could it be possible with something else than Navisphere?

Connecting a server to a storage group

You must connect a server to a storage group so that the server can

perform I/O to the LUNs in the storage group. This server can access

only the LUNs in the storage group to which it is connected.

A server can connect to only one storage group per storage system at

a time. If you try to connect a server, that already connects to a

storage group, to another storage group in the same storage system,

the server will disconnect from the first storage group. When you

disconnect a server from a storage group, and then connect it to a

different storage group, the server can no longer perform I/O to the

first storage group.

When you connect a server to a storage group, the server is:

◆ Connected to the storage group through each server HBA port

(initiator) that is connected to the storage system. In other words,

if the server has two HBA ports and each is connected to one

storage-system SP, the server has two connection paths to the

storage group.

◆ Disconnected from any other storage group in the storage system

to which it is connected.

0 Kudos
winsomelosesome
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In an EMC Clariion array, best practice is to have only 1 host per storage group but you can assign LUNs to muliple.

For example you create a storage group for your VCB proxy server, then just add the LUNs that are also presented to your ESX servers.

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I think you are going to find out that, even though you CAN get the VCB proxy to "see" all of the LUNs for all of the clusters, your backups won't complete in sufficient time. You will find that VCB only gets about 1GB per minute throughput. You will need more HBAs to get a better throughput. I usually recommend at least one VCB proxy per cluster - sometimes more.

If you are going to VMworld, check out my breakout - BC2497 VMware Consolidated Backup: Report from the Trenches. I will be discussing VCB/ integration and then go through a sizing exercise.

Dave

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you are going to VMworld, check out my breakout - BC2497 VMware Consolidated Backup: Report from the Trenches. I will be discussing VCB/ integration and then go through a sizing exercise.

This session better live up to all the hype I've been hearing :-). I'm going to be using vRanger, VCB, and TSM to design a backup solution and this is one of the sessions I'm looking forward to.

Jason

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Like I said before - "That's One!" Actually I know of someone else coming just to heckle me. The session will be covering NetBackup, but the principle are the same with TSM. The preso will have lots of notes. Hopefully they will distribute it during the session. If not, I requested that the preso get posted to the site in notes view. I think that is more valuable than seeing MY ugly mug. I look forward to meeting you!

Dave

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos