VMware Cloud Community
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCB and file level restores

Hello All,

I know VCB is designed to do Image level backups but I was just wondering if there is any plugin, extra software, or 3rd party software that can restore files out of a VCB image? or do you still have to use VCB for image level backups for Vm's and products like Symantec Backup Exec for file level backups?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I take that back. It appears that BackupExec 12.5 does support both. Check out Backup Exec 12.5 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI).

This is from the Symantec site:

Backup Exec 12.5 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI) takes the advantages of VCB while

removing many of the challenges of implementing a VCB-based backup solution including;

• Integration with key VMware API's to ensure VCB "scripting" or "integration modules" are not required

• Eliminates separate VCB backups for system level vs. individual file level recovery to recover a single file

• Protecting **VSS-aware applications such as Exchange, SQL, or SharePoint as part of the entire Guest virtual machine

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are several 3rd party products that integrate with VCB to provide file-level backup/restore capabilities, but vcb itself does not. It provides a view into the filesystem, or a means to backup the entire image of the vm you are trying to "backup". Now, you can run vcb on a proxy, and then copy the files off yourself, if you wanted as well without using backup software.

-KjB

0 Kudos
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm looking for a way to simplify my backup routine. Currently we take VCB backups for image level backups fo the VM's and then we have Backup Exec taking file level backups which we use to restore files when file restore requests come in. It would be great if we could do a file level restore from the VCB image files, that way we would only have to take those backups instead of having to essentially do 2 backups.

Another reason why I would like to simplfy this is for Exchange 2007. When mailbox restores are requested we have to restore from Backup Exec however if we could do a VCB files restore of the mailbox that would be great 2, however I don't think there is an easy way around that situation unless someone knows of one.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The level of integration with different products is not the same. With some products, what you are talking about is norm, meaning an image-level backup and a file-level backup happen at the same time. Previously, you had to perform both, and you should still be able to do both with Backupexec jobs, but I'm not sure if the image level alone with allow BackupExec backup set to restore files. I don't believe this is currently the case.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I take that back. It appears that BackupExec 12.5 does support both. Check out Backup Exec 12.5 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI).

This is from the Symantec site:

Backup Exec 12.5 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI) takes the advantages of VCB while

removing many of the challenges of implementing a VCB-based backup solution including;

• Integration with key VMware API's to ensure VCB "scripting" or "integration modules" are not required

• Eliminates separate VCB backups for system level vs. individual file level recovery to recover a single file

• Protecting **VSS-aware applications such as Exchange, SQL, or SharePoint as part of the entire Guest virtual machine

-KjB

0 Kudos
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wow,

Thanks for that information I didn't know that Backup Exec 12.5 had a new agent / plugin to assist VCB with file level restores from a VCB backup

0 Kudos