VMware Cloud Community
mdfields
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCB and Networker

I am trying to come up with a BU strategy (Networker and VCB) and had a few of questions:

- How is a Windows file level restore done when backed up using VCB? I am assuming you can not use the Networker User.

- We are currently using the SQL, Oracle, and Exchange Networker modules during backups. How would you use those in conjunction with VCB?

- Can the VCB Proxy, Networker Server, and Virtual Center all be on the same box?

- Can you specify only certain LUN's to backup when using VCB to backup VM Images? It would be nice to only backup the system directory (C:\ and system state) using VCB and the App data (for instance, the Exchange DB on the E: drive) can be backed up by the Networker Agent and Module.

- When doing daily incremental backups of the vm image files, would they be fully backed up everyday since they are bound to change or does VCB look at something more granular when determining incremental image backups.

- Does VCB perform any type of compression?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

- How is a Windows file level restore done when backed up using VCB? I am assuming you can not use the Networker User.

If you use a file-level disk mount, the same way as with a normal backup.

If you do a fullvm (image) backup, then restore the image to a new location, boot up the server and copy the files off.

- We are currently using the SQL, Oracle, and Exchange Networker modules during backups. How would you use those in conjunction with VCB?

You can't. VCB will give you a "crash-consistent" backup, which means it's the equivalent of going to a physical server and just pulling the plug out. When it boots up, disk checks will run but the file system should still be intact.

Database-based servers are a different matter. At any point in time, you cannot be sure that the database is in a consistent state. So, for those type of servers it's best to load the client agents on and back them up over the wire (or over a software iSCSI attached drive), same as you would a physical server.

- Can the VCB Proxy, Networker Server, and Virtual Center all be on the same box?

VCB & Networker can, as far as I know. VMware generally don't recommend having VirtualCenter and VCB on the same box.

- Can you specify only certain LUN's to backup when using VCB to backup VM Images? It would be nice to only backup the system directory (C:\ and system state) using VCB and the App data (for instance, the Exchange DB on the E: drive) can be backed up by the Networker Agent and Module.

You can do this one of two ways: Either put E: drive on a separate VMDK file and mark it as an "independant disk". VCB won't touch it then. But it means you can't snapshot it either. The second option is to explictly exclude the second disk's VMDK files from the backup set.

Or, as I said, don't use VCB for database servers.

- When doing daily incremental backups of the vm image files, would they be fully backed up everyday since they are bound to change or does VCB look at something more granular when determining incremental image backups.

No, incrementals won't work. If you use vm images, full backups is all you can do, because from Networker's perspective, it's just one or two multi-gigabyte files sitting on the proxy server. It doesn't know, and doesn't care, what's inside those files.

-

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you use a file-level disk mount, the same way as with a normal backup.

If you do a fullvm (image) backup, then restore the image to a new location, boot up the server and copy the files off.

You can't. VCB will give you a "crash-consistent" backup, which means it's the equivalent of going to a physical server and just pulling the plug out. When it boots up, disk checks will run but the file system should still be intact.

Database-based servers are a different matter. At any point in time, you cannot be sure that the database is in a consistent state. So, for those type of servers it's best to load the client agents on and back them up over the wire (or over a software iSCSI attached drive), same as you would a physical server.

VCB & Networker can, as far as I know. VMware generally don't recommend having VirtualCenter and VCB on the same box.

You can do this one of two ways: Either put E: drive on a separate VMDK file and mark it as an "independant disk". VCB won't touch it then. But it means you can't snapshot it either. The second option is to explictly exclude the second disk's VMDK files from the backup set.

Or, as I said, don't use VCB for database servers.

No, incrementals won't work. If you use vm images, full backups is all you can do, because from Networker's perspective, it's just one or two multi-gigabyte files sitting on the proxy server. It doesn't know, and doesn't care, what's inside those files.

-

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

One thing you CAN do, with regards to database servers and fullVM database server backups, is use the pre and post scripts to quiese the database, or put it in backup mode, prior to the snapshot being taken. Without knowing what database you are running, it is hard to get more specific. For instance, and Oracle database running in archivelog mode can be placed into backup mode, where all database transactions are written to a separate log file until the backup is complete. Thus, if put into backup mode by pre-scripts, prior to initiating the VCB snapshot and mount, then the database could be restored using the fullvm backup. Another option we use is to do fullvm backups of database servers for disaster recovery, and simple use an agent to do a database only backup. This way, you could restore the entire server from the fullvm backup, and then overlay the database on top of that. This requires more space, time, etc... however the fullvm backups of this sort are only run in our environment once a month, as the database itself is really the only thing that changes. The database backups with agents, however, run daily.

They can, but I wouldn't recommend it. VCB and Networker is probably easiest to have on the same box, it is easier to manage and configure than using a separate VCB proxy server.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
GIROT-JP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Do you know if we can clone operation from the disk layout and backup this clone by NetWorker is it possible to use it with VmWARE ?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Migxi463
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

About databases considerations, you wrote.... "and back them up over the wire (or over a software iSCSI attached drive), same as you would a physical server."

If I understand correctly.... or with a storage node installed on the database VM over a file container on a iSCSI or FC attached drive

0 Kudos