VMware Cloud Community
one3cap
Contributor
Contributor

VCB Proxy problem

I mapped the .vmfs volumes to my vcb proxy server where I use symantec backup exec 12.5 to backup virutal machines using the SAN option instead of the LAN.

The problem I am having is the vmfs that this windows server is able to access is disk 2,3,4 and the issue is with disk 6.

I have unmapped this vmfs and rebooted the vcb windows box but whenever I remap this disk windows is remembering the different state it is in then 2,3,4. It needs to be Healthy (unknown partition)

I think somebody deleted the (Unknown partition) so it went to "unallocated space" and then created a primary partition and did not assign a drive letter and did not format the disk.

DIsk 2,3,4,6 are all .vmfs partitions with VM's and I just mapped these disks over to this windows VCB proxy and backup does work with 2,3,4 and i get an error with vcbmounter on disk 6.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was under the impression that on your VCB proxy your not supposed to acutally format the partition once its mounted?

If I understand this correctly you can't backup disk 6 on the VCB proxy ?

Also another option you can use is Backup Exec 12.5 AVVI agent, it uses Vmwares API calls and VCB snapshot technology to backup VM's live and it gives you the capabiltiy to even restore files out of the VM images because of there GRT technology. Another good part about the AVVI is you can bypass the scripting that is involved with VCB.

0 Kudos
one3cap
Contributor
Contributor

I do use the avvi I did not format disk 6 I just deleted the unknown partition and the state went to unallocated and vcb avvi did not work on disk 6 so then I unmapped disk 6 and rebooted the vcb proxy and remapped the drive and the drive keeps returning with the same state so then I created a partiton and did not format it and avvi still does not work with disk 6 windows is remembering the settings for the drive

0 Kudos
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On your VCB server unmap the lun that is pointing to disk 6 then reset the machine and make sure that it is not detecting that LUN and all the iSCSI settings is gone if you are using iSCSI. You don't have to worry about any settings. Then re-add the disk 6 lun and see if it takes. It almost looks like its holding onto a perssistant conenction or something. Is your connection type iSCSI ?

one3cap
Contributor
Contributor

No I am using FC. I did unmap the disk and reboot the windows VCB server and then readded the disk. Disk 6 keeps returning with the same settings for the disk. Windows has some sort of "disk signature" that it remembers this disk. I am not sure what to do at this point. Any windows experts out there know how to "flush" the disk settings windows is retaining?

0 Kudos
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you removed the disk and reset the system did you also remove the LUN mapping on the SAN? before the rest of the VCB server ?

Also are you running any 3rd party MPIO software on your VCB server? such as NetApps MPIO driver?

0 Kudos
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyother thing you can look at is dispartk scrub command:

Diskpart:

scrub

Removes volume mount point directories

and registry settings for volumes that are no longer in the system.

This prevents volumes that were previously in the system from being

automatically mounted and given their former volume mount point(s) when

they are added back to the system.

This link also has some good information on it even though its a different topic all together:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/191695?tstart=0

proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

is this a new zoning? did you turn off automount on your vcb proxy?

0 Kudos