VMware Cloud Community
Cruicer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VC server recommendations

I've inheretited a ESX environment, 20 ESX host about 400 VM, few hundred Gigs of data. Sorry for not have exact numbers...anyway, the VC box is running on a Shared SQL server w/ 2GB of RAM. Dual Processors. 100mb nic. One of my immediate goals is to move the VC database from this server to its own dedicated server. Does anyone have any sizing recommendations / guidelines that you are willing to share so I can spec out the appropriate hardware. 1GB NIC is a must but how else should I size it?

Thanks,

Cruicer

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

With the amount of ESX hosts you have I would recommend build a SQL 2005 server with cluster for redundancy purposes. Make sure look at the database size and log size because those tends to expand really fast and if you have SQL configured to auto expand, log shipping and truncate that wouldn't be any problems. You also want to automate organize your indexes so your database perform smoother and better.

Use that database calculator and plug in your ESX hosts, VC, VMs and then give 30% extra database size in case.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is the current VC box giving you problems or what is the exact reason for moving it? Moving it to its own box and its own instance of sql sounds good but just run out VC server off of a physical server we reclaimed (duel proc, 1.5gb ram, gig nic, raid 1 hdd setup). It seems to run fine for us, but we are also smaller than you. I'm sure any server you buy now with simular setup as the current one would run fine.

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Make sure you meet the minimum requirements list in http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_installation_guide.pdf

For the database sizing you might want to tun your figures through the Virtual Center Database Sizing Calculator

Review the load on the current system as a guide for the load in your environment.

Are you going to be running VC plus the database on the same box, maybe just add some extra RAM.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Opps, don't forget any licenses for backup software you might need for the new server, such as an agent.

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

With the amount of ESX hosts you have I would recommend build a SQL 2005 server with cluster for redundancy purposes. Make sure look at the database size and log size because those tends to expand really fast and if you have SQL configured to auto expand, log shipping and truncate that wouldn't be any problems. You also want to automate organize your indexes so your database perform smoother and better.

Use that database calculator and plug in your ESX hosts, VC, VMs and then give 30% extra database size in case.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos