VMware Cloud Community
aroudnev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC agent licensing - why Vmware don't want our money???

I have a strange question:

- we have VMware ESX-es (ESXi, ESXi-embedded, ESX), some free, some coming with DELL on flash,

3 installed as Vmware foundation.

- we have VMware VC center upgraded to the full center (sales sent a file to us, we applied it and have now full VC), and 6 agents license for it.

Now we are looking a way to add more agent's licenses so that we can monitor all our free and embedded ESXi-s, and ideally monitor our 2 Server2.

Problem is that it is, hmm, impossible. I can't believe it but Vmware don't sell VC agent licenses and don't sell licenses to add value into their free products.

I dont need additional VI infrastructure licenses - I already run VC and don't need more;

I don't need starter packs - I already had one, and now I run it.

I just want to pay reasonable amount of money, $100 - $300 per server, and add server into the VC. I want to be able to pay reasonable amount of money and add few into the VMotion and HA. I want to pay reasonable amount of money and add backup when I need it (dont need itr because I have NetApp and backup just NFS snapshots).

So, we are ready to buy. Buy single host agent license, single host HA license, single host... But we are not ready to pay for the things we don't need (VI infrastructure) which we already have.

So, how it can be? How Vmware is making money, if you can't even pay for the existing productis which you need (no technical limitations)? How can I add agent liceses so that I can manage our 10 - 15 Vmware systems (ESX* and Server*) but still have systems themself on the local serial licenses (we can't risk with the centrallized license server, no way!).

(What is interesting - if we can't pay, we just work around and reconnect VC to the different ESX-es when required, one at a time. But it means that VMware, yes, never got our money. They have an excellent product, one of the best in the world. And they have a very bad sales, ones of the worst in the world).

Why I cant find something like this:

- upgrade VI foundation center to VC datacenter center - $$$

- 1 extra agent license - $$$

- 1 extra license for the server2 - $$$

- 10 licenses pack for the VC - $$$

- ESXi embedded fully licensed (backup, vmotion, etc) - on Dell site - $$$

Did I miss something on their site?

(You can purchase ESXi from DELL, $99 only. But it is very difficult to find it out on DELL, and it is not easy to boot it. And youc an't add a little of $$ and connect it to the VC< except if you are still inside initial VC licenses.).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Virtual infrastructure licenses and Virtual Center licenses are two different things.

Virtual Center license allows you to run Virtual Center.

Virtual INfrastructure license, allows you to manage the ESX(i) server through your VC.

The type of VI license (starter/standard/enterprise) will define the options you can use.

You can license each host separately, but some options require a central license server.

The 99$ ESXi from Dell is what they charge you for a USB stick theyput ESXi on (something that is quite easily done yourself for much less), what you pay extra to be able to manage that ESXi with VC, is actually a VI license.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well first if you want to do an end around for the license scheme that's your business, but people like you that find "creative ways" to circumvent the system is why we pay MORE for licensing to begin with.

Secondly, you can't simply add agents, they have to be a licensed server. So adding an agent to manage a server just so you can "see" it from Virtual Center doesn't do any good UNLESS it's a Fully licensed product.

And since you know that VM ware doesn't do what YOU want buy a license for ALL your products and quit complaining. Be done with it and move on. We all license our products just fine, and having a mixture of free and full licenses means you don't want to follow VM Ware rules. If this were Microsoft same rules would apply, BUY a LICENSE!

So if it's not a problem to give "vmware your money" then pony up, give them the Standard license at least for those servers, where is the issue? You just like rant and rave so you can get things the way YOU want it?

VM Ware has a company, they aren't here to cater to your whim, you buy a license from them to license THEIR product, that's the name of the game. If you don't want to play the game, well then that doesn't leave much option for you then does it?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware has gone to bundling their licenses - you can buy the ESX foundation license for $995 List that includes the VC Agent, Update Manager and VCB - http://www.vmware.com/products/vi/buy.html

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Virtual infrastructure licenses and Virtual Center licenses are two different things.

Virtual Center license allows you to run Virtual Center.

Virtual INfrastructure license, allows you to manage the ESX(i) server through your VC.

The type of VI license (starter/standard/enterprise) will define the options you can use.

You can license each host separately, but some options require a central license server.

The 99$ ESXi from Dell is what they charge you for a USB stick theyput ESXi on (something that is quite easily done yourself for much less), what you pay extra to be able to manage that ESXi with VC, is actually a VI license.

0 Kudos
aroudnev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First of all, thanks for the response. Now I know, that our guess have been correct, and this strange product is really ESXi upgrade from the free ESXi to the managed ESXi (but can be used as ESX license, too).

Let's look on this, $995, license:

VMware Infrastructure Foundation (Starter) includes:

• VMware ESX 3.5 or VMware ESXi 3.5

• VMware Virtual Machine File System (VMFS)

• VMware Symmetric Multi Processing (vSMP)

• VMware vCenter Server Agent

• VMware Consolidated Backup

• VMware Update Manager

It was not obvious, that it can be used as an upgrade. Price is interesting too - it is not $995, it is $1540.

I personally prefer to see this in another place - for example, next to the 'Free ESXi' description:

ESXi - free

VC manager - $$$

License for extra ESXi agent (to manage it by centrallized VC manager) - $$$

License for VCB: $$$

VC manager bundled with 3 licenses - $$$

It would be easy to understand and can show a roadmap - install free ESXi, then add VC manager, then add as many licenses as you need in the management system. Easy to start with it, be intimidated by VMware simplicity, then approve additional spendings with the IT management...

Alex

0 Kudos
aroudnev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And since you know that VM ware doesn't do what YOU want buy a license for ALL your products and quit complaining.

Sorry, but my question was just where are these licenses? I run fully licensed VC center (not foundation), I run few fully licensed free ESXi and few fully licensed ESX-es (licensed by foundation). All I asked about is where is a clean roadmap, how can I add features to the existing licenses. If you open VMware web, you wil not find this clear roadmap; you can see only numerous (and very strangly looking) bundles, and never know, which one can be used to upgrade and which one is not compatible with you.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think the best option for you would be to list everything you currently have (licensed and free), and what you ultimately want, and take it up with a reseller

0 Kudos
wazoo9000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I always thought their licensing was pretty simple: basic stuff = free, cool stuff = money.

-------- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks.
0 Kudos