VMware Cloud Community
TzeroX
Contributor
Contributor

Using Vmware View as Session broker for Microsoft TS Farm

Hi,

I´m thinking of a client solution for my company that includes VMware view and microsoft TS (WTS).

My idea is to install a vmware view server and add 2 desktops. Those 2 desktops will point to 2 WTS clusters consisting of 3 WTS servers (Windows Std 2008 x64) each configured with NLB (Network Load Balancing) and will be supporting around 350 concurrent users on 2 IBM x3650 Dual QuadCore 3.16 GHz with 48 GB of RAM each.

I'm also goining to setup a View Secure Gateway for mobile users. My idea is to use ONE client for all users, VMware View. It doesn't matter if a user is using a thin client, a desktop computer or is out on the filed and needs to acceess internal resources. The only thing every users know about is the View client.

We are already using Microsoft and Vmware as a standardized platform and it would be nice to keep Citrix out of the picture but if my ideas won't work Cirtrix is back in the game Smiley Sad

What do you think of the idea in general?? I don't like Citrix and the reason is that it´s too expensive and WTS has enough features to support my users needs.

I don't hate Citrix for those of you who may think that, My goal is to keep it simple for the users and the IT-staff and my CFO. I know Citrix is an traditional way to go when you need some kind of terminal emulation but with WTS in server 2008 my users will have everthing they need. My users are running apllications as Office 2003, Outlook, Client Access for Movex. IE7 and some other none resource intensive applications,

Will the HW work?? Any other comments and improvments are welcome!!

Daniel Gillberg

IT Operation Manager

Storel AB Sweden

//Daniel Gillberg IT Operation Manager Storel AB Sweden
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I´m thinking of a client solution for my company that includes VMware view and microsoft TS (WTS).

My idea is to install a vmware view server and add 2 desktops. Those 2 desktops will point to 2 WTS clusters consisting of 3 WTS servers (Windows Std 2008 x64) each configured with NLB (Network Load Balancing) and will be supporting around 350 concurrent users on 2 IBM x3650 Dual QuadCore 3.16 GHz with 48 GB of RAM each.

The is no need to do this as View 3 is a session agregator, you can have full VDI desktops and also redirect TS sessions via the Connection Broker and Secruity servers, (not that these sessions must be desktops and not seamless windows.

I'm also goining to setup a View Secure Gateway for mobile users. My idea is to use ONE client for all users, VMware View. It doesn't matter if a user is using a thin client, a desktop computer or is out on the filed and needs to acceess internal resources. The only thing every users know about is the View client.

That is correct, however only certain TC's are View aware. Wyse is one manufacturer that comes to mind, all others have to use the browser and the RDP session has to be directly connected, (no SSL proxying via the Connection broker)

We are already using Microsoft and Vmware as a standardized platform and it would be nice to keep Citrix out of the picture but if my ideas won't work Cirtrix is back in the game Smiley Sad

You are on the right track, however your thought process as to what View can do slightly skewed. I sugest you read the documenation found here

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
TzeroX
Contributor
Contributor

My idea is to install a vmware view server and add 2 desktops. Those 2 desktops will point to 2 WTS clusters consisting of 3 WTS servers (Windows Std 2008 x64) each

configured with NLB (Network Load Balancing) and will be supporting around 350 concurrent users on 2 IBM x3650 Dual QuadCore 3.16 GHz with 48 GB of RAM

each.

The is no need to do this as View 3 is a session agregator, you can have full VDI desktops and also redirect TS sessions via the Connection Broker and Secruity servers,

(not that these sessions must be desktops and not seamless windows.)

I know View can do that for me but the reason was to be able to have two Desktops in View for maintenance reasons. But maybe it's not neccessary.

+

I'm also goining to setup a View Secure Gateway for mobile users. My idea is to use ONE client for all users, VMware View. It doesn't matter if a user is using a thin

client, a desktop computer or is out on the filed and needs to acceess internal resources. The only thing every users know about is the View client.

That is correct, however only certain TC's are View aware. Wyse is one manufacturer that comes to mind, all others have to use the browser and the RDP session has to

be directly connected, (no SSL proxying via the Connection broker)

+

I know Wyse has some View certified clients as well as HP. We are taking over a company this spring who has a Citrix solution with HP T5530 TC's så we're probably

going with HP. I've done some testing with TC's during fall 2008 with HP, Wyse and ChipPC and they all work nice. An advantage with HP is that they come loaded

with the Altiris Client so we can use the some Client Management platform for all types of clients.

+

We are already using Microsoft and Vmware as a standardized platform and it would be nice to keep Citrix out of the picture but if my ideas won't work Cirtrix is back

in the game

You are on the right track, however your thought process as to what View can do slightly skewed. I sugest you read the documenation found here

+

What do you mean? What have I missed??

I've read some of the documentation and done some testing with View as the sesstion broker and even used the security server with very good results. But this has only

been for me and my colleague, not some large production environment. I'll read the rest of the documentation so I don't miss out on anythin important.

Anyone has any thoughts on the hardware?? Is it underscaled?? During the coming years we'll not expand our company alot, a few users maybe.

What about the networking part in this.. Anything I should think of?

The new servers comes with 10 pNIC. This is my idea how they wil be used:

2 pNIC's for the service console (One for failover)

2 pNI'C's for vMotion (One for failover)

2 pNIC's for Internal Net (One for faliover)

2 pNICS for our DMZ (One for failover)

1 pNIC for our DMZ2 - only used for testing purposes with external applications

1 pNIC for Internal Net - physically seperated from the Internal Net for testing purposes on internal applications

Backup's of servers will be performed during night using the Internal Net

Have I missed sonmething important?? I have one spare PCIe slot in each server so it's possible to add another Quad NIC to the servers if neccesary

//Daniel Gillberg

IT Operation Manager

Storel AB Sweden

//Daniel Gillberg IT Operation Manager Storel AB Sweden
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

We are already using Microsoft and Vmware as a standardized platform and it would be nice to keep Citrix out of the picture but if my ideas won't work Cirtrix is back in the game

What do you mean? What have I missed??

VMware View3 allows a unified access to VDI desktops, BladePC's and TS Desktop Sessions, via a single pane of Glass, the Connection Server/Secruity gateway. so unless you are considering the use of a different protocol than RDP, it should fulfil all your requirements.

I've read some of the documentation and done some testing with View as the sesstion broker and even used the security server with very good results. But this has only been for me and my colleague, not some large production environment. I'll read the rest of the documentation so I don't miss out on anythin important.

Anyone has any thoughts on the hardware?? Is it underscaled?? During the coming years we'll not expand our company alot, a few users maybe.

What about the networking part in this.. Anything I should think of?

The new servers comes with 10 pNIC. This is my idea how they wil be used:

Nice Hardware

2 pNIC's for the service console (One for failover)

2 pNI'C's for vMotion (One for failover)

2 pNIC's for Internal Net (One for faliover)

2 pNICS for our DMZ (One for failover)

1 pNIC for our DMZ2 - only used for testing purposes with external applications

1 pNIC for Internal Net - physically seperated from the Internal Net for testing purposes on internal applications

I would consider removing the 2nd nic from the SC network and the VMk network and bonding them in a failover pair and then adding them to the 2nd Internal Net and DMZ2

Backup's of servers will be performed during night using the Internal Net

Internal Net 1 or internal net 2?

Have I missed sonmething important?? I have one spare PCIe slot in each server so it's possible to add another Quad NIC to the servers if neccesary

Probably LOL, but that is projects for you, any more questions, do not hesitatet to post them :smileygrin:

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos