VMware Cloud Community
eric00
Contributor
Contributor

Using Capacity Planner for Modelling

I have ran Capacity Planner at a customer's site for a number of weeks. Everything's cool with it.

However, the customer now wants to model a few different scenarios, by removing some servers from the environment, and adding server workloads that don't yet exist.

I am not sure at all how to do this. I started down the path of developing profiles, but I really don't know if this is the right course of action to take. Seems too hard for what I'm ultimately trying to accomplish.

Any thoughts, or hints?

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
2 Replies
amvmware
Expert
Expert

You can model the scenarios by grouping the computers you want to model and then selecting the group when you want to run a scenario.

You can try 3 scenarios using different harware specifications so the customer can see the consolidation ratios for the different HW specifications.

You can't model for a workload that does not currently exist - this is where you have to ensure the design has allowed room for growth.

0 Kudos
eric00
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer.

I suppose that I'm a little suprised that it's not possible to inject "pseudo machines" into the observed configuration. For example, it would be valuable to be able to say "Today, I have three SQL servers that exhibit such and such performance characteristics, and in the future, I expect to have 2 more of them. What does that look like like?"

No matter... I can simply reserve enough headroom in the configurations for the project that I'm doing.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos