VMware Cloud Community
jarends3
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading?

The VMware docs refer specifically to upgrading from 2.x to 3.x so I'm a bit confused about what needs to happen.

We're running VirtualCenter 2.5. I'd like to move to VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 2. Am I correct in that the only path to upgrade VC is to get the installer and install Update 2 on top of my base installation?

Then when it comes to ESX 3.5 Update 2, will update manager update me to Update 2, or do I need to get the ISO and reinstall?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mark_Bradley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

From my experience it is best to upgrade VirtualCenter before you upgrade any of the ESX hosts. You can check if any update is available for VC, which you know there is :smileyblush:, by selecting Help>Check for Updates in the VirtualCenter GUI. This will direct you to the VMware website to download the latest version of VirtualCenter.

VC 2.5 Upgrade to VC 2.5 U2 - You can then run the installation to upgrade your VirtualCenter installation. It is advisable to make a backup of at very least of the VirtualCenter database and the Update Manager database. The upgrade to Update 2 will update the VirtualCenter database.

ESX 3.5 Upgrade to ESX 3.5 U2 - Update Manager can indeed manage the upgrade to Update 2 of your ESX Hosts

Edited: Added part about ESX 3.5

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my blog at

__________________________________________________________________________________________ Check out my blog at http://www.ridethevirt.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESX 3.5 Update1 and Update2 are versions of ESX 3.5 with patches included. So therefore if you install ESX3.5 and then patch this will be the same as a patched version of ESX 3.5 Update2.

0 Kudos