VMware Cloud Community
LiamCurtis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade path from acceleration kits?

Hello all. Faced with choosing a virtualization platform and my head is spinning trying to compare Hyper-V, Xenserver, and VMWare. Bottom line is I would go with VMWare in a heartbeat if cost were not an issue, so I am looking at the acceleration kits.

The problem is...what happens when you outgrow the vcenter 'f3 server limit? Is there any sort of upgrade path?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Take a look at the upgrade center for vSphere licensing: http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/upgrade-center/licensing.html

Here is a snippet regarding acceleration kits:

Acceleration Kits:

Licenses which were originally purchased as part of an acceleration kit will be treated as individual products (e.g., VMware Infrastructure 3.x Standard). The upgrade path for these individual products can be found in the table above, as noted for Edition Licenses.

You'll find a table if you search for 'Acceleration Kits' on the page and the upgrade path

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
LiamCurtis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks William.

I should have been more clear. I currently do not own any acceleration kits. I mean that if I purchase a VSphere 4 acceleration kit today and find that I start needing to add and manage more ESX hosts down the road, what would the upgrade/licensing costs look like?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You will be able to upgrade but I am not sure what the price - I would contact VMware Sales or your Reseller and they will give you the price of moving form the Essentials version to the enterprise -

In regards to the competitors remember you get a higher density with VMware requiring less harware, cooling and power - also when comparing do not forget to include the cost of the management components -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is nowhere near that clear.

In VI3, accel kits were standrd VI# and the Foudation edition of VCentre. There was a clear upgrade path for vCentre.

The docs for vSphere do not show an upgrade path out of Essentials. Plus, the comparidon chart on this page seem to inducate that tere is a real differencr etween vCentre Essentials and vCentre Foundation/full.

VMware needs to come out with definitive statements regarding the upgrade path out of Essentials, as well as Essentials compatibility with other offerings like SRM.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As I understand it there is no difference in the code base between vSphere Essentials or the other vSphere products it is just a change in the license that you are applying - so to move up to the higher feature sets you will just need to pay the up charge - for the best information is to contact VMware sales or your local VMware reseller/VAC

LiamCurtis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I did speak with an inside sales rep and from I understand, it would be a matter of going from Vcenter foundation to Standard...so maybe like around $3500+ , which would not be the end of the world for us, but not cump change for us, either.

Hard pill to swallow for an SMB.

0 Kudos