VMware Cloud Community
Kevan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade Virtual Centre 2.02 to VC 2.5 on new Server. Upgrade ESX 3.02 to ESX Server 3.5. and add new ESX Server.

Hi

We are due to upgrade our VMWare environment. Virtual centre 2.02 and 3 x ESX 3.02 servers. We have new hard ware on which to instal Virtual centre and we are also adding a new ESX server.

I have read various upgrade guides for virtual centre and looked at questions on the forum but can not see anything that refers to the way I was thinking of doing it. I plan to instal Virtual Centre 2.5 on the new server and would like to point it at the current Virtual cenre database. Is this supported?

I would then instal ESX 3.5 on my new ESX server server and add it to Virtual Centre. I would then begin the upgrade / rebuild of the other servers using VMotion to Migrate all the VM's off of the next server to be rebuilt on to the new server running ESX 3.5.

Would this work.

What is the best way to upgrade Virtual Centre to new hard ware and a new Version?

Thank you for any advice that can be offered.

Regards.

Kevan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have read various upgrade guides for virtual centre and looked at questions on the forum but can not see anything that refers to the way I was thinking of doing it. I plan to instal Virtual Centre 2.5 on the new server and would like to point it at the current Virtual cenre database. Is this supported?

Yes, this is a supported upgrade. Just remember there will be a schema upgrade for your DB and it may take sometime. Just make sure you have a good backup of your DB before you start.

I would then instal ESX 3.5 on my new ESX server server and add it to Virtual Centre. I would then begin the upgrade / rebuild of the other servers using VMotion to Migrate all the VM's off of the next server to be rebuilt on to the new server running ESX 3.5.

I fully agree, I rolling rebuild is the way to go.

Would this work.> What is the best way to upgrade Virtual Centre to new hard ware and a new Version?

Upgrade the current version using the .iso. Don't forget the license server as well, which is a standalone upgrade and can be found in the /vpx folder of the vCenter .iso

Upgrade path:

1. vCenter

2. ESX

3. VMware Guest Tools

hopefully this was somewhat helpful as well

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_upgrade_guide.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, this is a supported upgrade. Just remember there will be a schema upgrade for your DB and it may take sometime. Just make sure you have a good backup of your DB before you start.

I fully agree, I rolling rebuild is the way to go.

Would this work.> What is the best way to upgrade Virtual Centre to new hard ware and a new Version?

Upgrade the current version using the .iso. Don't forget the license server as well, which is a standalone upgrade and can be found in the /vpx folder of the vCenter .iso

Upgrade path:

1. vCenter

2. ESX

3. VMware Guest Tools

hopefully this was somewhat helpful as well

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_upgrade_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Kevan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

With regards to the upgrade of the License Server do I need to update the actual license file somehow for ESX 3.5 or do I still use my current license file and copy it to the new server that I am going to install the license manager on?

Regards

Kevan

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, you don't need to do anything with the license file, just upgrade your license server which can be found in the /vpx folder.

0 Kudos