VMware Cloud Community
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Upgrade CX300 to CX320

Hi all,

In the near future i will be undertaking a SAN upgrade from clariion CX300 to CX320.

After reading duncan epping, and chad sakac blog posts explaining VMFS resignaturing.

I was curious as to whether this upgrade, and specifically the change in model of SAN will cause us having to run this? We are not planning on changing the LUN design, or ESX / cluster configuration.

My reaction after reading the posts were this would not be an issue, but curious if anyone has done the same thing or has any thoughts on this.

Regards

dc

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cwenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In this case, the array upgrade will be data inplace and i just a controller upgrade.

You should not experience any issues with volume resignaturing because that doesn't change. The only items that are replaced are the controllers themselves; the drives, volumes, and the data/signatures contained on them will not change.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We haven't undertaken our SAN upgrade yet, but I don't believe going from the CX300 to a CX3-20 is a simple controller upgrade. Will this be a completely new SAN that you will need to migrate all data from the old SAN? If so, the easiest method would be to carve up the LUNS in your new SAN and add them to your current ESX hosts. Then use svmotion to migrate your VM vmdk's over to the new SAN.

dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi jguidroz,

Thanks from the prompt reply.

I agree, it is a pretty big change but apparently Dell who are assisting us are saying this is a valid upgrade path with no issues Smiley Wink

It was more curious about how ESX might react to the storage change.

Regards

dc

0 Kudos
cwenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In this case, the array upgrade will be data inplace and i just a controller upgrade.

You should not experience any issues with volume resignaturing because that doesn't change. The only items that are replaced are the controllers themselves; the drives, volumes, and the data/signatures contained on them will not change.

0 Kudos
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks guys appreciate the replys

0 Kudos