VMware Cloud Community
Ken_vM
Contributor
Contributor

Updating multiple VMs

Hey folks, I'm looking for some advice.

I'm looking into setting up about 15 - 20 VM's. They will identical, ~35GB each, require a static IP address, XP, added to Active Directory, and have about 12 custom programs. The problem is that there are vender supplied updates to the programs on a weekly basis.

Doing the initial creation of the VM isn't a problem, but I'm not sure of the best way to apply the updates to all of the VMs. I've considered building custom MSI packages or using something like Norton Ghost AutoInstall to deploy the updates. I've also thought about scripting the cloning of a master copy, setting the IP address and re-adding the vm to AD.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Have you looked into using SMS - or as it is now called System Center Configuration Manger?

You'd still need to build the MSI package to install the update but SMS should automate the process and not impact the registration of the workstations within AD.

Mike

Ken_vM
Contributor
Contributor

I took at a look at SMS, and it would definitely help with deploying the updates. I think MSI's would work fairly well with VM's as well.

It does seem a little bit overkill though for 20 VMs.

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Whether it is overkill depends on how much work it is to update the

applications - over time, I suspect that SMS would be worth the cost

in terms of time saved and consistency of the upgrade process.

Mike

0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

I have to agree with Mike. Using an MSI package and deploying with SMS or even Machine Group Policy since you are using AD could be your best route. Other possibilities is using something like KIXSTART, depending on your scripting capabilities. Have you asked the vendor what other shops due since they have so many updates on a regular basis. This really isn't a VM issue, the same scenario would apply even if these were physical. Unfortunately VMware does not have any customization with Update Manager, but that would be a great feature....

Regards...

Jamie

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

Ken_vM
Contributor
Contributor

Our current solution is to install the software onto a Terminal Server, which is whats used by most other vendors. Nice and easy to do the updates, but it comes with all the problems of a Terminal Server. And some of the programs don't play nicely on a Terminal Server.

I'm hoping VMs, possibly with VDI, will make for a better solution.

I'll give the MSIs a try and look more into SMS.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

What can of packages are you trying to deploy to your VMs? If its windows updates patches than you can use VMware Update Manager, WSUS, SMS etc..but if you want to deploy custom MSI packages than using SMS or Windows Group Policies should be fine in this case. I would think using Windows GPO shouldn't be overkill comparing to SMS.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Ken_vM
Contributor
Contributor

The updates are software and documentation revisions for programs used to display manuals for aircraft maintenance.

Windows GPO should work, but we have some issues in the past with MSIs being deployed to all the machines. Some sort of management software might prove very useful.

0 Kudos