VMware Cloud Community
Typoman
Contributor
Contributor

Tool to measure physical performance of P2V candidates

I may be undertaking a project to overhaul a small datacenter using VI3. I talked to a friend that runs a fairly large datacenter. He said there is a tool to run on the physical servers that I am thinking of vitualizing. The tool would collect a bunch of performance data and make a recommendation about whether or not that server is a good candidate for virtualization. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

You have plenty of options;

Perform yourself with a products such as Platespin Power Recon, MOM, Zenoss (open source) or even perfmon

OR

If you are planning a big migration use VMware capacity planning services from either Vmware or a special partner, this is a good rubber stamp for ensuring you have a third party audit.

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
DougBaer
Commander
Commander

Daniel is correct that CapacityPlanner is a tool used by VMware and some partners to perform virtualization assessments. I work for one of these partners and have used the tool quite a bit: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/virtualization_assessment.pdf

If you are interested in doing it yourself, there are other tools like the one from CiRBA: http://www.cirba.com/ -- they claim to be better than VMware's CP, but I haven't had any experience with them.

Ultimately, the data should be used more for general planning purposes than strict, "do exactly what the tool says," doctrine.

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos
Safesys
Contributor
Contributor

Is Capacity Planner a hosted service only? Or is is software you can run from your own server?

0 Kudos
DougBaer
Commander
Commander

As for CapacityPlanner, it is hosted only. The collector software runs on a local machine, but it sends the data to VMware's data warehouse for aggregation, analysis, and comparison with other systems. There is quite a bit of analysis that can be performed, but it often amounts to information overload.

I believe the CiRBA tool handles everything locally.

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos