VMware Cloud Community
victormarsh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Therotical Limitation?

Does anyone know the limitations in numbers of virtual desktops:

Platform: Intel Quad Quad 64 bit Xeon, 1066 MHz bus, 192 GB Memory, 2 TB storage, 4 x GB ethernet

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Here is the "Maximum Config" doc:

This type of question is always highly dependent on what the VMs will be doing and what resources are allocated to each one. I would say you would be able to get anywhere from 64 to 128 (single vCPU) VMs running, probably closer to the lower end than the higher.

Don Pomeroy

VMware Communities User Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well, you can't have more than 128vCPU's per host, so theres a limit right there, but you will probably hit a wall with virtual desktops at around ~75 VMs with either IO bandwidth to your storage or CPU contention.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Here is the "Maximum Config" doc:

This type of question is always highly dependent on what the VMs will be doing and what resources are allocated to each one. I would say you would be able to get anywhere from 64 to 128 (single vCPU) VMs running, probably closer to the lower end than the higher.

Don Pomeroy

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
victormarsh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Matt,

Thank you for the input it was helpful

Victor

0 Kudos
victormarsh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Don,

Thank you for the document - kind of what I was looking for. I'll have to push the envelope and see if I can reach the higher end and still meet my requirements but keep my cost low.

Victor

0 Kudos