VMware Cloud Community
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The chipset eX4 in IBM X3850 M2 provides IOMMU. Is this used by ESX ?

After i read the ibm vmware world presentation, I was suprised that ibm has iommu support with the eX4 chipset.

This is the only intel server with ddr2 ram, not fb dimms as all other vendors have. So it is unique plattorm.

Is this supported and used in vmware esx . Any benchmarks?

Look at the attachment.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The EXA servers share a big deal of technologies with the POWER-based platforms. The I/O chipset is pretty similar and thus it includes stuff like IOMMU.

This is being leveraged by the PowerVM technologies on POWER-based systems but, as far as I know, it is not being leveraged by VMware with ESX but it doesn't mean it will not be exploited in the future.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The EXA servers share a big deal of technologies with the POWER-based platforms. The I/O chipset is pretty similar and thus it includes stuff like IOMMU.

This is being leveraged by the PowerVM technologies on POWER-based systems but, as far as I know, it is not being leveraged by VMware with ESX but it doesn't mean it will not be exploited in the future.

Massimo.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Will this be used in ESX 4.0 ?

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I can't comment on VMware future products..... these guys could put you in jail.....

Massimo.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can you tell if IBM working on this in general. It does not matter which x86 hypervisor.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I heard someone in the lab has been working (or I should playing?!) with this on some opensource hypervisor....

Massimo.