VMware Cloud Community
claireh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Test Site Network Settings

Hi

I have 3 esx 3i hosts and i have 2 production luns. I created a new test lun and have p2v'd a dc into it. I would like to run the test lab with the same ip settings etc as production i am not sure how is best to keep it seperate or if this is possible. Can anyone help

Thanks

Claire

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To me it seems like basic networking conflicts. You cannot have two machines on-line with the same host name and IP, you will get conflicts. I would advise highly against this especially if it's a production DC.

You can create a seperate vSwitch with no connectivity to the outside production network place the DC VM on that, then create some VM's that only have access to the test DC you set up on the same internal vSwitch.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To me it seems like basic networking conflicts. You cannot have two machines on-line with the same host name and IP, you will get conflicts. I would advise highly against this especially if it's a production DC.

You can create a seperate vSwitch with no connectivity to the outside production network place the DC VM on that, then create some VM's that only have access to the test DC you set up on the same internal vSwitch.

0 Kudos
claireh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Troy

The seperate vswitch solution with no access to the outside world is what i was wanting to do - but i am not sure how to set this up. I created a new switch ok but not sure what details to give it in case i conflict with the production network I want to keep them totally seperate

Can you help with this

Thanks

Claire

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey Claire,

You can just create an "Internal only vSwitch", which is a virtual switch with no physical adapters associated with it.

You can then carry on with placing virtual machines on to that virtual switch and as no IP packets will be transferred onto the physical network you wont get any conflicts.

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
claireh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I removed the physical adapter from the vswitch and set the test dc to use that network. so if i create other vm's and set them to use that network should they be able to communicate with each other.

Thanks

Claire

0 Kudos
dennes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, but don't remove any physical adapters from the default vSwitch that has the Service Console attached to it. Create an additional vSwitch for your test network and connect the designated VM's to that vSwitch.

Or just create a different VLAN on your production network and assign them tot that VLAN..

dennes

claireh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all your help everybody

Thanks

Claire

0 Kudos