VMware Cloud Community
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

TSM and VMFS NetApp Vols

Can TSM (IBM Tivoli)) linux client backup ESX VMFS volumes ?

If installed on a ESX server can it also backup any VMFS volumes on NetApp, attached by iSCSI ?

Anyone done this ?

TIA

Sean

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Deli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perhaps with the TSM Option of vmbk.pl from www.vmts.net.

Regards,

Deli

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It can, but service console backups are not a good idea.

Look at esxRanger and VCB.

Dave

seangar
Contributor
Contributor

I dont think we can use VCB, it requires FC correct ? Were a iSCSI shop.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you want to take a look at another option you can check out esXpress. Backups run in the the virtual space using VBAs ( Virtual Backup Appliances ). It doesn't require VCB.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

Actually, VCB will work with iSCSI. The issue is that VMware does not support it, so if you have issues you are on your own.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

Care to elorbate ? Any info appreciated !! Links or prev experience. Dont have allot of time to RTFM, which in this case is 4-5 manuals that encompases the many issues.

I have to get a plan in place ASAP and the testing confirmed.

My idea is to NOT install a guest backup software, instead \~freeze~ the VMs, and NetApp SNAP them. Then port that the set of oldest SNAPS offsite for Disaster Recovery of a whole LUN. Can I use the NetApp SNAP to also to restore 1 VM if it fails from corruption or hacking to a previous state several SNAPS ago ?

TIA

S

0 Kudos
edgrigson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This might be too late if you were on a tight schedule, but as of ESX v3.0.2 and VCB 1.0.3, VCB now supports iSCSI.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/releasenotes_esx302.html

0 Kudos