VMware Cloud Community
jnewbie
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestions for Hardware Solutions

I just started a new job and they want me to move them from Physical servers (roughly 10-15) to a virtual environment.  The reason for the upgrade is because the equipment is old and they want to move away from an old NAS to a SAN.  We also have older networking equipment that I will also replace during this upgrade.

We have 2 DCs, one of them runs Exchange and DNS.  The other is a backup print server.

We have 1 full time print server.

We have 2 SQL servers that do the majority of the work load because our users access our public website for various tasks.

We have 1 terminal server that less than 30 people connect to at various times of the day.

We have one machine running our enterprise virus software

We have one machine that is our backup server

We have 2 citrix servers that run only a couple of published applications

I will be installing Win Server 2012 on the VMs and I will transition from Exchange 2003 to 2010.

Before I started they had spoken to dell about their 3-2-1 Solution, but I'm not sure if it is overkill for our environment.  How should I tackle this project?  What equipment (server, san, network) should I look at to make all of this work?

THANKS!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
meistermn
Expert
Expert

NAS and SAN is old fashion.  Have a look at converged solutions.  Like nutanix or omnicube

www.nutanix.com

http://www.simplivity.com/OmniCube/overview.html

0 Kudos
sketchy00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The 3-2-1 solution (3 hosts, 2 switches, 1 SAN) would be very appropriate to what you want to do.  I've deployed a number of them for sizes that you describe.  From a pure load perspective, it might be a bit overkill, but is typically the minimum recommended.

3 hosts will give you HA and DRS features that is really needed to create a "highly available" cluster.  You also need to figure in an N+1 for sizing.  Assuming modestly configured host, a 3 host cluster will go an incredibly long way for you in the future.

2 switches is an absolute must for your back end storage fabric.  You want to elliminate single points of failure, and a 2 switch stack (along with a properly meshed cabling) will acheive this.

1 SAN.  The idea here is basically "shared storage"  So whether it be block based (SAN via say, iSCSI) or a or a file based NAS (NFS), you want to have the VMs not actually living on the host that is performing compute services, so that it can float in between hosts as needed.

3 Dell R720's, 2 Dell PowerConnect 6224 iSCSI switches, and an EqualLogic array would fit your arrangement quite nicely.  (It wouldn't be the only solution of course, as the magic really happens when you get vSphere up and running).  You could go with Dell Direct, or a VAR/Channel partner.  The latter can usually provide more guidance for you.  Remember that a good design and deployment is key to making the magic happen.

As for the gentleman suggesting Nutanix, it is an incredibly good solution (an amazing solution actually), but it fits a very particular use case.  It is simply not appropriate for what the OP originally stated goals were.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Take the no SAN approach. It is easier.

Take a look at the hole stack. The old stack x86 server , ethernet switches, san switches, san patchpanel , network patchpanel.

With converged solution you only need to devices.

Or read the gartner strategy 2013

Gartner Identifies the Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2013

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=2209615

Integrated Ecosystems
The market is undergoing a shift to more integrated systems and ecosystems and away from loosely coupled heterogeneous approaches. Driving this trend is the user desire for lower cost, simplicity, and more assured security

Also ver helpful about old pod/block versus appliances

http://blogs.gartner.com/gunnar-berger/post-vmworld-thoughts-appliances-vs-the-rapid-desktop-program...

Advantage of appliances

utilzing local storage which tends to be faster (running on the same bus) cheaper (don’t need expensive SAN HDs) and scales better (every time I add an appliance I’m getting more IOPS). The appliance approach in one sense is still pod/block as its still storage/compute/network but it all happens within the singular appliance. The big catch though is that when you add an additional appliance you aren’t adding another separate bucket, you are increasing the size of your original bucket. This means every time you add an appliance EVERY user is affected positively

And in the one of the next releaes  of vsphere you can see local storage used as shard storage

Overview of the vSAN technology, leveraging local storage inside vSphere nodes to prosent out as shared storage. Note the fact that the “distributed storage” is part of the actual hypervisor, much like the already existing distributed networking.

http://www.vmdamentals.com/?p=4204

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

meistermn wrote:

NAS and SAN is old fashion. 

It's a well accepted industry standard, and one that doesn't involve diverging away from enterprise suppliers that businesses are comfortable with.

You options certainly have their place but you can't outright suggest noone should be using a SAN.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

who doesn't go with time, goes with the time in the long view.

0 Kudos