VMware Cloud Community
rucky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stratergy for Server hardware Scability - for server virtualisation

Hi Guys & Consultants

I would like to know how to do you plan for the above. As servers grow all the time.

The processor stepping needs to be same for all hosts for all the Vmotion, Live Migration features.

Lets say i started with 5 Host servers 3 years ago + 2 host servers for failover, and now i need to add 2 more servers, that means i will have to go behind in terms of technolgy and order an older server / processor system.

My question is how do you plan for that kind of thing and, and how often would you refresh your server hardware estate especially for the virtual infrastructure.

if my question is not clear, please ask.

thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Rucky,

One solution to get rid of this problem could be to enable Enhanced VMotion Compatibility (EVC) on your clusters. This way, you have a much larger choice of compatible processors for your next hosts.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

EVC will help if you plan on staying with the same type of processor. What EVC will not help with is the situation where you switch to a different type of processor. We recently went from AMD to Intel Nehalem boxes and we had to make the move during a maintenance period in which we could bring everything down.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos