VMware Cloud Community
tiotarman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage vmotion

Hi, currently using Essentials Plus 6.7 in a little datacenter with 2 hosts, I'm very used to storage vmotion from previous jobs (and I miss it a lot). Which would be the minimum required license for storage vmotion? Is there an upgrade path from Essentials Plus?

Thanks and regards!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How often do you need to migrate VMs from one LUN to another?

I'm asking because with vSphere 5.5, VMware introduced an option in Essentials Plus that allows to migrate both - host, and storage - at the same time even without shared storage, and with the VM being powered on. Check the migration wizard to see whether it is still available.

André

View solution in original post

5 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you do a search for "storage vmotion license" on google the first paper is the licensing paper:

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

0 Kudos
tiotarman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer, but I've read that document, and I find it somewhat confusing because tables doesn't compare features from different editions.

Anyway, my main question is, what would be the minimum way to get storage vmotion? Maybe acceleration standard kit? 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

"Standard" is what you need for SvMotion. Not sure what the cheapest option for you is, as I am not in sales I don't know prices etc.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How often do you need to migrate VMs from one LUN to another?

I'm asking because with vSphere 5.5, VMware introduced an option in Essentials Plus that allows to migrate both - host, and storage - at the same time even without shared storage, and with the VM being powered on. Check the migration wizard to see whether it is still available.

André

tiotarman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've just checked and migrating both storage and host works with essentials plus license, so it's just a matter of performing a host vmotion back afterwards. This is enough for me, thank you!!

Regards to all and keep safe!

0 Kudos