VMware Cloud Community
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage v Motion

I have just done a storage v motion using the Remote CLI intractive..

It worked well but renamed all my VMDK and put them in a different order ... In order words my vmx failover setting on my DR site doent match anymore .....

Any one noticed this ??

Cheers

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

What did it rename from and to?

svMotion is like a cloning operation so if the VC DB name is VMNAME1 and the vmdk is named Server2 you should end up with a vmdk of VMNAME1 at the target storage location.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I Started with OS disk = OS/xxx.vmdk , page file disk = PF/xxxv.mdk , RDM1 = OS/xxx_1.vmdk and RDM2 = OS/xxx_2.VMDK

The ended up with

OS Disk = OS-NEW/xxx_2.VMDK , page file = PF/xxx.VMDK , RDM1=OS-NEW/xxx.vmdk and RDM2 = OS-NEW/xxx_1.VMDK

I storage V motion from OS datstore to OS-NEW datstore keeping the page file disk in the same location ... The process worked as it should but iot just renamed the disks

So really i guess it moved the RDM first

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

I've done a fair amount of svMotion and thats never happend. However I do not use RDM anymore, so it may be the element thats changing the behavior.

I would carefully verify that the RDM is not messed up in some way.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
JasonVmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Something else you can try is this plugin:

I use it and it works greate, gives you a nice little drag and drop GUI. So far i've had no problems with it instead of always having to have your syntax right in the console. So far i've had good success with this plugin

0 Kudos
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@jason .

I have used the plugin and it works well . But it only works if you want to move all the exsisting disks to the new datastore.

To move disks to diffrent datastores or and leave some disks in the current location . the gui does not handle that properly hence the use of the Remote CLI

VMware however should have a gui with VMWare 4 due out later this year.

0 Kudos