David_Ank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage planing

Jump to solution

Hi all,

When planing NAS or SAN to hold the virtual machine files which method is the best?

1. create 1 Vol with 1 big lun (300g-800g VM best practices)?

2. create 1 Vol with small luns for each VM?

3. create 1 Vol with 1 lun for each VM?

what do you think?

David

Regards, David
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

This question has been asked so many times, if you search through the forum you'll find your answer.

I usually opt for a mid sized LUN of around 500GB

I don't use lots of small LUNS as it's an admin overhead and I have to start thinking about lots of zoning.

If you create 1 large LUN you may find issues with SCSI reservations if you place too many VM's inside the one LUN.

There's no silver bullet for this one. You need to work out your average VM size and then calculate how large the LUN should be based on between 10-15 VM instances inside.

However, if you're running say XP desktops and not server operating systems inside the VM's, the 10-15 number might be pushed up to 25 without the same SCSI reservation issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

This question has been asked so many times, if you search through the forum you'll find your answer.

I usually opt for a mid sized LUN of around 500GB

I don't use lots of small LUNS as it's an admin overhead and I have to start thinking about lots of zoning.

If you create 1 large LUN you may find issues with SCSI reservations if you place too many VM's inside the one LUN.

There's no silver bullet for this one. You need to work out your average VM size and then calculate how large the LUN should be based on between 10-15 VM instances inside.

However, if you're running say XP desktops and not server operating systems inside the VM's, the 10-15 number might be pushed up to 25 without the same SCSI reservation issues.

0 Kudos