VMware Cloud Community
joebrug
Contributor
Contributor

Storage for large amounts of data

We're currently in the process of getting virtualization implemented in our environment here. We're about to purchase a SAN (Pillar Axiom 300) along with ESX (probably 3 hosts to start out). We run a mix of Netware/Windows/Linux in house. I've taken the VI class, so Im familiar with the technology, but I still have some questions when it comes to storage of the VM's.

I have one server in particular that runs Netware, and has two Dell Powervault's attached to it. This server uses up about 3TB of space. I'm having a hard time determining how to VM a server like this. I would assume that having very large VMDK files is a bad idea, but I dont really know. I'd love to virtualize this server (I dont see why I couldnt) as the OS itself doesnt do much, its mainly just storage... but what do I do with the data? Do I just carve out some LUNs on the SAN and create Netware partitions on it then point the VM at it (Im pretty sure this works, right?)? or do I put all of this data on VMFS/VMDK files?

Any ideas appreciated..

This is the largest server I have, but even the file/print servers which are around 500GB or so.. I'm still a little cloudy on best practices for those. The servers themselves are not extremly busy, just have a lot of data on them.

Thanks all! Very excited to get this going Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

I would suggest you look at using Raw Device Mappings (RDM's).

If your Netware data is available on a SAN LUN, you could present this to a new virtual machine through an RDM.

You might find some instructions on a P2V process for the netware O/S, but I'd suggest you buld a clean vm.

0 Kudos
joebrug
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip Mr-T, kinda what I was leaning to before.

are there any rules as far as VMFS/VMDK files go in regards to ideal sizing? how big is too big?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

No hard & fast rules, but I know a lot of people here wont go over 500GB for a VMDK.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
joebrug
Contributor
Contributor

Really? hm. well, what if you use multiple VMDK files for same server? is that a way to get around it?

0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert

I would create a new Netware VM and then just use the luns from the Powervaults as RDMs. That way no need to move large amounts of data over to new volumes.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos
joebrug
Contributor
Contributor

Thats true.. but the powervaults are crap and I want that data on the SAN, so I can sleep better at night Smiley Happy So yeah, probably install Netware onto a VM in Pre-migration mode, then just 'migrate' the server over.. I'll have to play with the RDM thing, never seen it before and how it actually works. Sounds easy though.

0 Kudos