VMware Cloud Community
pcantoni
Contributor
Contributor

Starting Consolidated Backup Images

Hi everybody,

if I use VCB in order to take full image of my VMs running on a VI3.5 host, can I use this images "AS-IS" and start them on another VI3.5 host?

I mean ...without doing a full VCB restore procedure?

Obviously I know I should "tune" the VMs configuration on the target VI3.5 host...but it would be ok for me.

Thanks in advance for replay

Pierluigi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert

No you can not load the full backup output back into an ESX server directly. As you mentioned you need to use the import or VMware Converter to push it back into an ESX host first.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
pcantoni
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rodos

and thank for your replay.

I tried.

I copied a VCB image to another ESX host.

I had to revision the configuration of the VM but than it started. Practically, I removed and re-added the virtual disk from the VM.

What do you think about this ?

Only a lucky situation or is it a procedure that can generally runs ?

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Essentially it sounds as if you did an import/covert manually. Easiest way, as has been mentioned in this thread, is to do an import of the backed up files, or run a converter.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points