VMware Cloud Community
Vincent321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Software SANs....

Colleague, wondering if someone is usin them (not test configurations desireably) ? If yes, then what exactly software you are using? I'd be glad to hear about your any experience.

Actually why I came up with this question is that we have got IBM DS3400, that appeared to be not compatible with ESX(I don't know about Hyper-V). We'd like to go for software solution(it seems to be more flexible), but I want to be sure in my choise. Actually I'm especially aware of something kinda Openfiler.

Thak you for now.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
almartinez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would suggest using solutions from StarWind . See the editions comparison at

What I like : it offers 2 Active-Active nodes at the same price as Openfiler does for Active-Passive ones.

The price for top-version is about 6.000 $ which is much cheaper than many others.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jain
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

HP LeftHand P4000 Virtual SAN Appliance- is supported by VMware(Listed under HCL)

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA3-0261ENW.pdf

~ Jain # VCP 4

~ Plz award points,if you found answer useful Heart

--------------------------------- *Jain* | VCP4 | +Please award points, if you found answer useful+
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I've only seen the Lefthand VSA in production environments so far....

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
Vincent321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answears.

Lefthand is pretty good one, I agree, but the managing is not really easy and I wouldn.t call the price too low.

I would be glad if someone will recomend something else.

Appreciate for your help for now.

0 Kudos
almartinez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would suggest using solutions from StarWind . See the editions comparison at

What I like : it offers 2 Active-Active nodes at the same price as Openfiler does for Active-Passive ones.

The price for top-version is about 6.000 $ which is much cheaper than many others.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Interesting as I have an IBM DS3400 and it works just fine with ESX/ESXi. It is an Active/Passive device and I have the FC-SAN option but works just fine.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
Vincent321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks folks!

Especially to almartinez. StarWind is really very reliable software. as my test have shown.

Texiwill, I do believe that DS3400, that you've suggested to me, but it is active-passive, and there is no good for me.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos