VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So what is the largest app have you deployed on ESX/VI3?

While most companies big and small are starting to take Virtualization seriously and implement virtual solutions, I still hear admins and managers talk about how they would never consider putting their larger/higher IO apps on ESX.

Large is a relative term and I think it leads to part of the no perf apps on ESX misconception. For example, Manager A (500 user environment) discusses large apps with Manager B (1500 user environment). Manager B says he would never consider putting their Exchange 2003 environment on ESX because ESX can't handle high IO apps. While I don't necessarily agree with B, I think there are lots of A's deciding not move forward and start to put their bigger apps on ESX because of such discussions, even though the A's may be good candidates based upon the number of users in their environment and the utilization of the physical server (based upon current CPU and Disk IO)

From reading these forums, I know people are pushing the envelope and getting good results.

So I wanted to ask:

\- What is the biggest/highest IO app that you are running in production on an ESX VM?

\- How many users of the app?

\- Underlying ESX setup. For example, DL-585 Quad DC, 32GB, EMC SAN.

\- Overall performance of app

I'll start:

\- Exchange 2003

\- 500 users

\- DL-585, 32GB, HDS 9500 SAN

\- Runs well.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
simon_l
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Matt,

We have four 8 way single core serves running the following:

1) 20 SQL DB's SQL 2000/2005 running CRM, EDRMS, HR & Payroll, Social Services systems plus a number of department specific applications. The smallest DB supports 30 users, the largest 1700.

2) Exchange 2003 supporting 1700 users, four back end, two front end.

3) Internet / Intranet services supporting 1700 internal users and up to 1 million hits externally per month.

4) Enterprise Vault Email Archiving solution supporting 1700 users.

5) IIS, Domino servers support between 20 and 1700 users.

We have 85 VM's across the above mention servers accessing 10TB's of storage. Our average ESX host utilisation is 35%.

We are just about to introduce three additional ESX hosts and this time next year we will be running around 130+ VM's.

Hope this adds to your data collection exercise.

Si

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
43 Replies
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You also have to consider whether we are talking IO in Disk or CPU. A high IO disk could easily be shifted to RDM or Raw and problem is basically solved. High IO in CPU though? Different considerations have to be understood.

We run our enteprise crystal reporting environment in VM completely - except for the backend oracle database. The job servers are VM. I've seen them actually use close to 95% of the 2 vCPU's - so thats why they reside on the quad socket x3850's - the report repository is VMDK based and isn't really a concern with what it does to the overall disk IO when watched in esxtop.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Our largest environment is an Oracle production E-Business Suite.

Oracle database 9.2.0.2

E-Business Suite 11.5.9

about 400 production users

Runs on a HP Proliant DL385 Dual Core 2.2Ghz Host

3 Forms Servers also running as Virtuals

Never had any performance issues, runs great

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Peter,

You are running Oracle on an ESX VM on a host with only 2 cores?

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes,

We give the database VM 2 CPUs and there are only a couple of small other VMs on the box, so far we haven't had any issues in performance. The forms servers are on other hosts and we have 3 of them.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Blackberry enterprise server - 800 users - runs like a champ!

Respectfully,

Matthew

Fortune favors the bold - Alexander the Great

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

JD Edwards AR only

as far as memory toguest

only 50 users but app is a pig witha 1gb footprint on the desktops

soon to virtualize the citrixclient pieces

0 Kudos
shaneyoder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The largest CPU heavy app that we've deployed is a custom Java App that talks to a SQL Server backend. About 100 end users use the app. The SQL server VM averages about 2,000 MHz CPU during business hours with very frequent burst up to into the 7,000-8,000 MHz area. The guest VM is a 4 CPU with 2 GB RAM running on Dell PE6850 with 4 Dual Core Intel 2.66 processors as the host.

0 Kudos
MKJE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Domino Mail server with 2900 users (about 1000 concurrent users)

running on a IBM x3950 8-way, 50 GB Mem and a IBM DS4800 SAN with a SVC in front.

Runs great.

Message was edited by:

Mikael

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mikael,

Are you running anyother VMs on the same host as the Domino VM?

-MattG

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What OS are the guests running?

Windows/Linux or a mix?

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anyone running SAP? even DEV/QA?

0 Kudos
ir1shm1ike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We running SAP R/3 DEV and SAPBW PROD boxes...both work fine

0 Kudos
hitchcock4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Shaneyoder -- Are you running SQL 2005? And is it 32-bit or 64-bit if it is SQL 2005?

Just curious.

0 Kudos
shaneyoder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The one I described above is a Windows 2003 R2 SP2 32-bit box with SQL 2000 SP4 32-bit.

I do have a Windows 2003 R2 SP2 64-bit cluster with SQL 2005 SP2 64-bit clustered on top with 2 vCPU and 2 GB RAM. This cluster is not nearly as busy as the 4 vCPU machine but it does get pretty busy at times.

0 Kudos
harrytoole
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We just put in a Windows 2003 Ent 2 node SQL2005 cluster with each node having quad procs and 8GB ram. Each DB will have it's own rdm lun.

MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Harry,

What are the HW specs of the hosts?

-MattG

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

A high IO disk could easily be shifted to RDM or Raw and problem is basically solved[/i]

I thought RDMs were not recommended to be used for performance gains, but rather to either MSCS cluster or allow SAN tools to access the LUN?

-MattG

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

SQL 2000

500 concurrent users

CRM Applications

300+ Gb in size

Running on DL585 with 2 vCPU and 16G of memory

Thomas H. Bryant III
mreferre