VMware Cloud Community
aaraluce
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshots left by vreplicator and running out of vfms space

I have 3 questions:

1. I'm using vreplicator to do my backup for a DRP site on all my virtual machines, but if for some reason the replication fails and vreplicator left me a snapshot on my vfms volume, and if I want to remove the snapshot through virtualcenter a legend say that don´t modify o remove the snapshot, I logged a case on vizioncore and they told me to remove the snapshot through console command line with vmware-cmd command, but I don't know if it's safe to remove them form the snapshot manager in the VC, anyone use vreplicator?

2. When I created a LUN for a datastore (I use a individual lun for every virtual machine I have) always left 13 Gbytes extra in my Vmfs for the virtual swap that vmware create and the extra for the snapshots that vranger y vreplicator create, and left plenty left space for my windows partition, but sometime my users made sql backup and compact the DB and my virtual machine consumes the windows left space on the partition and then consumes my space left on my VMFS and then the virtual machine crashes becuase there is not more space left for the redo logs, I want to lnow why vmware use the 13 gbytes left that i have spare beside the windows space?, when this happen I always have to add an extent to the datastore or create a new lun with more space and clone the vm.

3. I have some luns that i tried to use for adding an extent, but when i was trying to add them to a datastore, gave me timeout from the host and then left me with the luns with zero space, I want to know if these luns are use in a virtual machine or is it safe to remove them?

Can someone explain to me how vmware use the space?

I'm attaching 3 jpg files showing the legend vreplicator put on the snapshot and a jpg from my datastore with the left space that windows use when ran of space.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I know vReplicator. You can delete snapshots by VI client or by vmware-cmd. These are two ways and the effect will be the same.

Which type of the virtual disks (VMDKs) did you create? Thin or thick? If you create thin disks and size of the disks is bigger than datastore, you can run out of the space.

You can you various type of the replication. You have VMFS 3.31 -> are you running ESX 3.5?

Roman

0 Kudos