VMware Cloud Community
ilikevmwarealot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SQL Clustering Proof of Concept

I'm going to start a proof of concept with a Microsoft Clustered SQL database.  I am wondering if it is a common practice to virtualize the node servers running Windows 2008R2 and SQL 2008R2.  Any resources or shared experiences would be great.

Thanks,

Austin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I've virtualized dozens of SQL servers, in my view, the general concern around "can we virtualize it?" is only ever related to vendors who wrote a policy in 2001 and haven't updated it. Build your VMs, treat them the same as physical servers, this will pretty much just work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I've virtualized dozens of SQL servers, in my view, the general concern around "can we virtualize it?" is only ever related to vendors who wrote a policy in 2001 and haven't updated it. Build your VMs, treat them the same as physical servers, this will pretty much just work.

0 Kudos
ilikevmwarealot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I'm curious what the SQL configuration validation will say...

0 Kudos
DavidKlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have been virtualizing SQL Servers for many years now. The biggest thing with virtualizing clusters is that the shared disks that MS clustering manages must either be RDM disks or direct connected via either iSCSI or SMB3. If you are using RDMs, there is a limitation with the VMware stack that basically requires that if the cluster node must be shut down before that VM can be moved to another physical machine. As long as this is understood, everything else just works great!

David Klee | Founder and Chief Architect | Heraflux Technologies | dklee@heraflux.com
0 Kudos
ilikevmwarealot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks David - I am feeling more confident now.  My only question is what if there comes a time when I have to call MS for support on the cluster... What do you think?

0 Kudos
DavidKlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is 100% supported Smiley Happy Basically, if your physical hardware is on the VMware hardware compatibility list, you should be good. VMware participates in the Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP), and so does Microsoft. If the VMware environment is supported, the app is also supported, and you can call Microsoft without any problem. If you suspect a problem due to the virtualization stack, you can call VMware and get the same great level of support for this configuration.

David Klee | Founder and Chief Architect | Heraflux Technologies | dklee@heraflux.com
0 Kudos