VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

SQL 2005 Cluster Backend For VC x2 of?

OK I have an SQL 2005 instance that is remote to the VC but I am being asked to make the VC redundant with another VC using the same dBase on the SQL2005 Server. As far as I'm aware this cannot be done because the hosts can only be registered to one VC.

The second VC will have a diffrerent hostname and IP address. Am I right in thinking this cannot be done?

How have you guys overcome this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey Zippy,

Have you had a look at clustering the VC?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VC_MSCS.pdf

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting but they are not nodes in a cluster - SQL is not installed on the VC, the cluster is elsewhere hosting multiple databases.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

The dB can be remote.

The idea is that when you cluster the VC, you have an active/passive 2 node redundancy for VC.

The VC will run as a service, under one hostname & IP which both nodes can host.

Ah, just read the initial passage again. Clustering the VC will need quite a bit of work... (Migration of certificates etc...)

Probably easier if it was done from the start.

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The doc looks good but is for VC 2.0.1 patch 2, is this supported for 3.5 Update 2

Yattong how was VMworld?

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

The doc is from 2.0.1 onwards...

I havent seen any further documents to say support has been removed.

I'll pm you bout vmworld.

~y

0 Kudos