VMware Cloud Community
tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL '08 physical -> virtual migration...want to verify specs

We in the process of migrating one of our SQL physical boxes to virtual (with at least one of similar "bulk" coming soon) and I'd like to verify that my end result sounds feasible.  Some backgound first:

Current physical environment:

DL585 G5 w/4-E7330 procs (16 cores total)

64 GB ram

Windows 2008

SQL 2008

SQL data (logs, databases, etc) SAN attached to a VMAX

Performance metrics (pulled hourly for a few weeks):

SQL User connections: vary between 250 and 400, averaging probably around 325-350

Total transactions/second:  vary between 250 and 400 (brief spikes up to 2000 which, my guess, is being caused by full backups or db maintenance), average is similar to user connections

CPU Utilization:  vary between 10 and 25%, average is in the 20% area

Memory % Committed bytes in use:  30%

Network MBytes received/sent per sec:  spikes anywhere from 30-50 only during backups, else it's very little

I/O on the local C drive:  spikes anywhere from 300-500 only during backups, else, again, it's very little

My plan to virtualize:

Two node VMware cluster (specifically for SQL role VM's)

2 - DL380 G7 w/2-X5660 procs (24 cores total)

2 - VM's with the following specs utilizing MSCS (each VM would sit on a different host in the cluster)

VM specs:

4 vCPU

48 GB ram

PVSCSI for local C drive (sitting on VMware datastore)

RDM connected log, database, quorum LUNs (LUN's on the physical box would be attached to VM's)

(we already have VM's utilizing MSCS so I purposely won't discuss the bus sharing set to physical, clustering heartbeat requirement, etc.)

So now come my questions:

- should I go to vSphere 5 or stick with our current environment (vSphere 4.1 U1)...I'm leaning towards 5 and understand vCenter would require an upgrade

- would I really see a benefit in PVSCSI for the C drive of the VM's or should I stick with the LSI Logic SAS (currently our standard)

- are 4 vCPU's enough? (the benchmarking I've done seems to think so, but I want your opinion)

Any thoughts we be greatly appreciated!

Travis

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow...apparently I didn't proof read close enought Smiley Happy  That beginning piece should've come out as:

We are in the process of migrating one of our SQL physical boxes to virtual (with at least one more similar in specs and workload coming soon) and I'd like to verify that my end result sounds feasible.  Some backgound first:

0 Kudos
paintcheck200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6080/6097945025_b1802d4fc7.jpg

0 Kudos
tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just an update...used LSI SAS adapter, 4 vCPU's, and ESXi 5.  Everything is running perfectly.  We probably could've lowered the memory down to 32 gigs, but we left it assuming some growth.  Also migrated our SQL 2005 physical host into this cluster with 4 vCPU's and 32 GB ram and it's running like a top as well.  The one thing additional we added was PowerPath VE to the hosts.  Since "Fixed" is the only NMP supported for RAW LUNs we wanted some additional failover protection and horsepower.  Capacity-wise we have plently left between the two hosts even adding a new SQL 2008 R2 MS cluster.

0 Kudos