VMware Cloud Community
benutzername
Contributor
Contributor

SAP on Linux on VMware

Hi,

I´m interested in wether anybody here has experience in runinng SAP on Linux in a VM on VMware? I just googled a lot, but I only found one guy who said, it is only effective when you have a small environment.

So I´m interested in if you have any experience with such an environment. Do you run your productive Systems on it. Which kind of SAP Systems are you running on it, and how many SAPS do you provide on which physical hardware?

Just to get an idear if that is a good solution for our sap installation.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

VMware has a lot of white paper and best practices document on how to virtualize SAP with vSphere and its all about planning and resources available. Currently we have a lot of SAP physical systems and planning to virtualize them and technical we do not have any issues but due to migration timeframe restriction, we have to forklift them to new data center and will make a move on virtualize them in near future.

Here is a case studies you can check them out for information http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/partners/sap-use-case-whitepaper.pdf and I know that SAP the company themselve utilize VMware Lab Manager to virtualized all SAP dev/test/qa environment 100% completely. So, you should feel comfortable using it of course you need to test it out first see how it works on your end before going live production.

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/partners/alliances/sap-resources.html

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

SAP is the same as Oracle which is the same as SQL.

ANY database product needs high end specialized hardware to run. Sure maybe it will run.. but it won't run AS FAST as it would on native hardware, then when you have problems SAP is going to tell you to put it on physical hardware.

VM Will say that potentially any product can be virtualized, but ultimately its the vendor that needs to support their product on VM Ware, so while it may be possible, it's not feasible.

Think of the money you spend on the database products in production, if you reduce performance by 30-40% that means 30-40% LESS productivity. Especially SAP, it needs the fastest platform there is, so I wouldn't put it in a VM, everything isn't suitable for virtualization, despite VM claims to the contrary, it's just not equitable. SAP needs physical hardware, and if you compare the performance you will see a HUGE difference between SAP on a VM and SAP on a physical, that's what you should be looking at.

If I were an SAP manager, I wouldn't be happy that someone could point to the code for SAP and claim that it's slow only to find out it's slow because it's in an evironment it wasn't designed for.

So eliminate ANY potential bottlenecks, in this case VM.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm sure SAP works much better if you have a monster physical servers but virtualize them will give some benefits in terms of administration and flexiblity as we all know about virtualization. Its something they have to trade off for higher performance and ease of management. I have confidence with vSphere it will be fine especially have some good customer cases study. Well, the pointing finger strategy happens to pretty all vendors that can't figure out the resolution, and blame on virtualization. Its all about business requirements and understand the pros/cons for both scenario.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

the pointing finger strategy happens to pretty all vendors that can't figure out the resolution,

That is true, however, in this case databases are pretty critical both time sensitive and performance driven, so when response isn't timely in applications (such as SAP) job quality and data integrity will suffer. Some people may consider this a worthwhile risk just to achieve "green" and to consolidate servers, because this is the new strategy. I am saying that you must buy hardware anyway, just buy a couple more to maintain the databases separately, and don't put all the eggs in one basket (the basket being VM's).

And I am not suggesting that SAP will point the finger, but they WILL point the same thing I am saying, that there is a very significant difference in performance between virtual and physical machines.

0 Kudos