VMware Cloud Community
jpeoples
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SAN Choices

I have recently purchased ESX Enterprise and have 3- DL380 G5's to deploy them on. I need to incorporate a SAN and then deploy Exchange 2007 on a couple of Server 2008 Enterprise VM's. I have looked at Lefthand, Dell Equilogix, and just using an HP drive array. Looking for input as to what are the downfalls of each. Recommendations would be great.

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well that depends on your budget and expectations for the future. But if it will be three hosts for the coming years I would spend less money and buy an iSCSI array. Dell EQL / HP Lefthand / EMC Celerra / NetApp ... can't go wrong with any of these. First write down your requirements and send out and RFI to at least 3 vendors, see what they've got / comeback with and let them demo it etc.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums James, I have moved your post to a different section so that it will gain a greater audience

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

As hp shop I would think about Eva4400 kits - they could be quite suitable (by good negotiations).

The MSA2000 series (oem from DotHill) seems to have not quite good storage management.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well that depends on your budget and expectations for the future. But if it will be three hosts for the coming years I would spend less money and buy an iSCSI array. Dell EQL / HP Lefthand / EMC Celerra / NetApp ... can't go wrong with any of these. First write down your requirements and send out and RFI to at least 3 vendors, see what they've got / comeback with and let them demo it etc.

Duncan

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We use HP LeftHand and NetApp here so I'll only comment on those 2 based on our experiences:

HP LeftHand - NSM2120's:

- Cheap (add-on licenses are also cheap)

- Easy to setup

- Achieves true redundancy easily

- Flexible enough that you can get other hosts (doesn't have to be HP's) and the SAN iQ software still works so you're not "tied down" with a single vendor / product line.

- No NFS option

NetApp FAS2020:

- Primary datastore deduplication can save you some space (unless you have a heavy load).

- Some really cool software addons such as SnapManager for Exchange and SQL (NetApp license costs a bit more and can add up pretty fas)

- Great performance over the HP LeftHand but you also pay more.

Hope this helps you.

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Budget? And how much expandability do you need with it?

I do think iSCSI would work fine for you.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Maybe open storage helps.

Availability and Support:

The Stirling storage servers are currently shipping with worldwide availability and can be custom configured to

meet even the most stringent requirements. The scalable 50TB Stirling X888 retails for under $18,995 and the entrylevel

8TB Stirling X308 models can be acquired from an attractive $4495 via the Aberdeen Web site

(www.aberdeeninc.com) or by contacting an Aberdeen account executive at (800) 552-6868 or +1 (562) 699-6998

from outside the United States. Aberdeen has a media recognized, industry leading 5-year limited warranty as well

as a free 30-day trial assessment program with all of its branded servers.

Pricing: http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/NAS885LX.htm#Pricing

NAS885LX PRICING

Part#

Description

Price

NAS885LX

AberNAS 885LX - 50TB 8U NAS linux based storage w/SAS Expansion Ports-50xHot Swap SATA Data Drives, Embedded OS, Dual Quad-Core Xeon 5405, 2GB DDR2 (FBDIMM), Quad GLAN, 1500W Tri.Rdt PS, w/Recovery USB Key, RAID 0,1,5,6

$20,995.00

0 Kudos
_VR_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

jpeoples,

Can you provide more information as to what you're looking for? Usable disk space, software requrements (snapshots, replication, etc), raid level, HA controllers, budget?

From the sound of your original post you're looking at something more entry level. NetApp had a great product line called StoreVault which they recently decided to kill. Take a look at the MSA2012i from HP.

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBases.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=&ProductLineId=450&FamilyId=...

0 Kudos
KungFuJoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Another vote for iSCSI.

For a cheap, no hassle, yet reliable and proven solution, go Equallogic. They are so simple to set up and use, you can have one up and running in less than 30 minutes (not counting time to rackmount and cable, of course).

For a higher end solution, go NetApp...2xxx or 3xxx.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Why every time so price san enviroments?

Look at conraid

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why dont people use it? A few reasons:

1) AoE is a niche player, and doesn't have nearly the market or technical support in the community as FC or iSCSI

2) until 2 weeks ago, there was no AoE driver for ESX

3) There is still no SUPPORTED AoE driver for ESX

For many, #3 is enough to kick it out of contention.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos