VMware Cloud Community
LiamCurtis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Running a VM production file server for 150-200 concurrent users on ESX3.5? anyone doing it?

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone is doing it, has done it, or has experience or thoughts regarding running a vm file server for 150-200 concurrent users. We have an older compaq tasksmart and we are planning a consolidation and will probably purchase ESX3.5 as part of VI3. I would like to simply run a win2k3 vm file server and I'm wondering if the performance will be okay. We would most likely put our datastores on our Clariion CX500 (2gb fc) and run Proliant DL380G5 dual quad cores for ESX hosts.

thnks much in advance

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Had about the same running at my previous employer. Had only 1 VCPU and 2048 of memory. Did disable updates of the last access time attribute for the NTFS filesystem which definitely made a huge difference.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Should run no problem at all, we ran a file server in a VM that was used for development, so was getting hit very hard, had over over 150 users connecting at once no problem and that was on a host running another 10 virtual desktops and servers...

christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Should run w/o problems - have just installed a new nw 5.1file server for ca. 150 users as vm - runs better than the old ph.

LiamCurtis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks much for the replies, all!

0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMKR9, may I ask your settings on this VM? vCPU and Memory? anything particular for such a heavy duty server? How busy the CPU works? Thank you.

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Had about the same running at my previous employer. Had only 1 VCPU and 2048 of memory. Did disable updates of the last access time attribute for the NTFS filesystem which definitely made a huge difference.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

depping, thanks for the tip!

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
ncasey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running several file servers with at least 1000 concurrent users during the day with no problems.

VM's: only 1 VCPU and 2048MB memory

CPU pretty constant at 20% but I have access based enumeration enabled on the shares.

CISSP, GIAC, MCSE:Security, CCNA, CNA

CISSP, GIAC, MCSE:Security, CCNA, CNA
0 Kudos
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"disable updates of the last access time attribute for the NTFS filesystem which definitely made a huge difference"

How does this make a huge difference? Does it help with Disk IO? Proc or mem?

I am i correct that you will lose when the last time the file or fodler was edited? Are there any other downsides?

If you find this or any post helpful please award points

If you find this or any post helpful please award points
0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My another concern for doing this is if my backup program would skip the files that should be backed up particularly in incremental mode. But there might be another "updates of the last modified" that is still enabled, so I need to find out which "updates" setting is actually affecting incremental backup.

0 Kudos
beckhamk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe that backup programs use the last modified date. This is a 3rd item that is last accessed. Meaning and read/write will update the date time.

0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

just opened up a txt file, then closed it without any modification. the "Accessed" time didn't change accordingly. why? Having tried on different machines, the "Accessed" time is not changing at all. I am missing somthing here....

0 Kudos
beckhamk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hmmmm maybe we need someone to explain what that truely means. I do see if you open and save a file that time is updated. It might be that the time is cached? or only certain circumstances is that updated. But after doing some more testing i think it does cache, or only updates the reads every so often. As I opened up explorer checked the last access time and then edit it without saving and then the time changed. But it doesnt seem to update 100% each time you read the file.

0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Exactly. I noticed that too. I am lost. If it is cached, then it doens't make anything good. You are right, "save" back without modification will update "Accessed" time. "open it up then exit" won't. "Read" doesn't count as "Access"? That's funny.

0 Kudos