VMware Cloud Community
jerry2096
Contributor
Contributor

Reconfigure Clusters for AMD and Intel mixed ESX Farm

Hi experts,

I took over a bad designed ESX Farm with both AMD and Intel based hosts in which HA and DRS definately could not be enabled.

Now I wan to sepearted them into 2 clusters - one AMD, one Intel so that I can enable HA feature.

In current mixed "data center", all amd and intel based hosts are sharing the same data stores on the EMC storage (the VMFS LUNs).

So my question is:

Can I just create 2 new clusters(AMD and Intel), and remove all of host from the current data center, then add them into different clusters based on the chips and enable HA after that?

Is it safe to do so and not screwing up existed VM guests on them?

Thanks in adavnce!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums - first off you create the clusters under a datacenter so there will be no need to remove the host from the datacenter - I would just create your clusters and drag and drop the ESX hosts into the approriate cluster - once this is done you can enable HA. This can be done while the VMs are running -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Yes, you can..thats a good idea.....

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In addition you can run this tool to find out is the AMD and Intel host CPUs are configured the same. This can help troubleshoot is there are any VMotion problems.

Hope this helps

Pete

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Peter Grant CTO Xtravirt.com
0 Kudos
jerry2096
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, weinstein5!

Hope there is no interruption to this operation.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

There shouldn't be - Do not forget to award points -