VMware Cloud Community
annu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recommended size of Lun's on FC array

Folks,

I have 2 questions, about the Lun Size.

Is there any recommended Lun size mentioned for the FC Luns from the Array Side and is there any Lun Size recommended from the ESX 3.5 side.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jbsengineer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's common to see 12-16 VM's and 300-500GB per LUN... I usually find this referred to as the "sweet spot"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I know some of the SAN manufacturers do make recommendations on LUN size but they tend to make you buy more storage - vmware does not make an official statement but the with the many installations I have seen it seems like LUN sizes are in the 300-500 GB range

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the anwer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
jbsengineer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's common to see 12-16 VM's and 300-500GB per LUN... I usually find this referred to as the "sweet spot"

0 Kudos
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In my experienceI 've seen that 400-450GByte LUNs works great: sure you can apply the above equations to create your LUNs but as an environment will evolve during time, the equation will change and so you 'll need to change the LUNs size...

As a rule of thumb I can say that:

• you must not put more than 7-8 VMs on trhe same LUN

• you must try to put different kinda VMs on the same LUN (CPU bound, IO bound, network bound, memory bound)

• on SQL/ORACLE/SAP VMs consider RDM

• consider creating one or two LUNs for OS only vmdk and LUNS for DATA

• 7-10% of free space on each LUN is a MUST (in my experience)

• keep swap file on SAN

HTH

\aleph0

(in italian)

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos