VMware Cloud Community
e37
Contributor
Contributor

Recommended NAS storage for ESX

We're looking at getting an ESX server up and running. We would like to store the VM's on NAS so that in the future, when we get another ESX server, we won't be transferring VMs and can pull them directly from the NAS. Based on the little research I've done, it looks like ESX 3 can do this, i.e. licensing has been loosended.

My primary question is whether or not there is a recommended NAS. I'm guessing any quality NAS would suffice, but looking for any pros/cons.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ejward
Expert
Expert

Are you talking about setting up an NFS share on a NAS device (EMC Celerra, Windows server, Etc) or, using iSCSI?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

It really depends on your requirements for high availability, performance and flexibility for growth. There are numbers of solutions that can work under ESX RDM, iSCSI, NFS, SAN etc.. and you can pretty much can use iSCSI or NFS for your environment if its not that huge and you can use neither Openfiler or Left Hand's Virtual SAN Appliance.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
e37
Contributor
Contributor

So, you're basically saying that since ESX works with NAS, I'm really just looking at choosing a NAS with good performance specs. That's really my issues, I don't want to deal with slow VMs because of poor disk IO from a NAS.

I guess that will be my route.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

My suggestions for implementation is to plan and test it thoroughly because each environment has different variebles so you shouldn't listen from other users but to test on your own gears and network, storage and resources available. But if you read this threads you will find lots of good info for you to decide.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
e37
Contributor
Contributor

Point taken and very good link.S/NFS as fa

0 Kudos
David_Ank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Allow me to begin and say that I'm Netapp integrator.

After this point is clear I have to say that I really love to work with Network Appliance.

If your looking for NAS or ISCSI SAN you should check their solutions.

The strength of the machine will be dependent on the planned environment like: the number of VMS, OS installed on the vm, environment use (production, Development....).

If you'd like to tell your plans for the installation I might be able to recommend on a more specific device.

Regards,

David

Regards, David
0 Kudos
y2kade
Contributor
Contributor

Right now I'm in the process of building a new ESX cluster with it's datastores pointing to NetApp LUNS via iSCSI. The cool thing I like about having the data on the NetApp is de-duplication. Running de-duplication on the volume that contains the Windows and Linux hosts saves tons of space.

0 Kudos