VMware Cloud Community
bpierfy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recommendation for 4-nic setup

I've looked through the forum to find some suggestions, but I'm having trouble making finding the best performance/redundancy/feature combination.

We are just about to make our ESX server environment go to 3 from 1 server. They are all VI3 enterprise licenses. We also use VCB and VC2. For backend we have an iSCSI SAN (AX150i) which seems to work well for us. All 3 servers are blades, but all 3 also have 4-nics (through a daughterboard) available to them.

We want to use vMotion and I've seen that it should be on its own NIC. I've also seen that you should have the main service console on its own port. This leaves us with two ports, and my guess is one for storage and one for the VMs themselves.

Does this make the most sense? I would like to be able to introduce some redundancy, like using two nics for VMs (also helps performance), but then I have to combine other features on the NIC. Which features combine the best? We do use VLAN so we could theoretically use one port, but that isn't efficient.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ccostan
Contributor
Contributor

Does this make the most sense? I would like to be

able to introduce some redundancy, like using two

nics for VMs (also helps performance), but then I

have to combine other features on the NIC. Which

features combine the best? We do use VLAN so we

could theoretically use one port, but that isn't

efficient.

Thanks for the help!

In situations like this where I have 4 nics available to a servers, I would normally allocate 2 nics for VMs and COS and 2 nics for iSCSI, iSCSI COS and VMotion.

This assumes that all 4 nics are Gigabit and the storage network is isolated.

This configuration has worked well for me in the past since COS traffic is not normally heavy under normal conditions and once the fun of VMotioning wears off, so does the requirement for a dedicated nic (IMHO).

CARLO.

Carlo Costanzo | http://www.VMwareInfo.com | @ccostan
0 Kudos
bpierfy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That actually makes a lot of sense!

Your assumptions are correct, we have a storage network (through vlans) and all 4 nics are gig.

As far as VMotioning goes, it will pretty much be used sparingly for emergencies or off-hours (as the main users are overseas). Of course, we'll probably abuse it for a few weeks for entertainment purposes as we show our noob friends what we can do (am I the only one that takes pleasure in that?)!

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos